Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bright red blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bright red blood
lipsticksmack
Neophyte
Member # 50527

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lipsticksmack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had gotten my period January 15th, and yesterday, would mark the 14th day in my cycle, so my ovulation day. I have a regular 28 day period, but yesterday I started bleeding. It was bright red blood and I don't know what causes this. Is this ovulation bleeding? Or something else? (In between bleeding has never happened to me before)
It doesn't help that I decided to do strenuous exercise yesterday, so i don't know if that caused this bleeding.
Can someone explain mid-cycle bleeding. This isn't just a few spots, because when I wore a tampon last night, one whole half was covered in blood.
Someone help this worried girl.
Additionally, I had protected sex last week Monday, literally the day after my period ended.

[ 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: lipsticksmack ]

Posts: 25 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi lipsticksmack,

Is the bleeding still happening?

If not, how long did it last and how much was there?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipsticksmack
Neophyte
Member # 50527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lipsticksmack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this given moment, I don't know because when I took out my tampon this morning, it was covered in red blood and brown blood from the night. It wasn't saturated but one side of the tampon was covered in blood. It pretty much looked like the start of a period..
I have a new tampon in now, just too see if I bleed today as well.
I'm nervous because idk if this is normal?

Posts: 25 | From: Chicago | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipsticksmack
Neophyte
Member # 50527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lipsticksmack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just changed my tampon, and I'm completely bleeding. It looks like a 100% period. Can someone get their period twice in a month? I'm still worried about this because its only been two weeks since my period ended [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods do come early on occasion, particularly within the first few years of getting one's period, but it can happen at any time.

You didn't mention it, so I'm figuring not, but are you on the birth control pill or other hormonal birth control?

Sometimes bleeding can also happen if the vagina is scratched inadvertently, but the amount of blood you're describing sounds greater than that would probably produce. Have you been able to determine if you're still bleeding?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lipsticksmack
Neophyte
Member # 50527

No, I'm not on anything. Only use condoms.
I'm not stressed either, I was perfectly fine.
And I haven't inserted anything for there to produce an internal scratch.
Like I said, the only thing I did yesterday was I had decided to do was to work out, first time in a year
Yes I'm still bleeding, my tampon felt uncomfortable because it was completely saturated, so I had to put a new one in.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Sounds like this is your period come calling then. I would suggest making a note of it and mentioning it to your healthcare provider next time you see them, but a once-in-a-while early period like this isn't generally cause for alarm.

Just to check though, have you recently been screened for STIs (sexually transmitted infections)?

[ 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

lipsticksmack
Neophyte
Member # 50527

No I haven't been screened for any STI's. never thought to because I've been with only one partner and had protected sex.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Unexplained bleeding can sometimes be a side effect of an STI, and while nothing you're describing sounds, to my medically uneducated ear, like anything to panic about, since you haven't been tested that would be something good for you to do as soon as possible.

It's sound to start with sexual healthcare in general once one becomes sexually active with a partner. Do you have a healthcare provider you can make an appointment with?

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.