Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » yeast infection and female partner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast infection and female partner
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just took diflucan for my third yeast infection since November. My doctor suggested that my girlfriend also be treated so that we don't pass it back and forth. The problem is, her doctor won't prescribe her the medication in the absence of symptoms, and my gf has no itching and looked "normal" during an exam.

My questions are:
1. Is it common to have an infection of this type with no symptoms?
2. Is it common that a doctor would not write the prescription in a case like this? Her doc (at Planned Parenthood) says it's "rare" for women to give each other yeast.

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Also: is there anything I can put in the bathwater to soothe my irritated skin? Or should I avoid baths until I'm not itchy?
Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With yeast, you generally want to avoid baths, as the heat of them can tend to make the yeast grow more.

If your girlfriend's doc won't prescribe it for her, will yours? It's not unusual for someone's healthcare provider to write out a scrip for their partner with things like this.

I agree with her doc, especially since no one can really "give" someone else a yeast infection, period. But what CAN happen is that when one partner (of any gender) has one, it can make it more likely the other partner will develop one. I know that might sound like it means the infection is being transmitted, but it's really not.

Did her doctor also check her for thrush: a yeast infection of the mouth?

But with or without a scrip for her, there are likely things the two of you can do to reduce the likelihood of, if she's got a yeast issue, you continuing to get them. For instance, do you two practice safer sex? Dams for oral sex, gloves for manual sex? Also, do you scissor often? If so, maybe try ditching that for a little while, at least until you break this yeast cycle.

Did your doctor also talk to you about dietary changes you might make to make yeast infections less likely, like cutting back on or eliminating sugar, caffeine, alcohol, white flour?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

"I agree with her doc, especially since no one can really "give" someone else a yeast infection, period. But what CAN happen is that when one partner (of any gender) has one, it can make it more likely the other partner will develop one. I know that might sound like it means the infection is being transmitted, but it's really not."

Can you explain more how this works? I really don't understand! If it can't be sexually transmitted, how/why would one's partner be more likely to get it?

In terms of diet, I practice moderation with alcohol and caffeine (ex: 1-2 glasses of wine and 1-2 cups of green tea per month). I used to eat lots of processed, refined white sugars, but my New Year's resolution was to eliminate those foods and I've been largely successful since Jan 1...I do eat lots of fruit though, and whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc, which isn't something I am interested in stopping.

I also eat lots of yogurt and garlic, and I take probiotics and CranActin. I wear cotton underwear, nothing at night, and don't douche or stay in wet bathing suits. I feel like I'm doing everything right....this whole thing is really frustrating for me.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really can't explain it well, since it's the kind of deep science I'm just not so gifted with. But, the long and the short of it, as I understand it, is that if a partner has a yeast overgrowth, then we're exposed to more of that "bad" yeast, making us more inclined to have an overgrowth ourselves, if that works for you.

If you've just only recently eliminating the white stuff (I don't know of any reason for concern with whole grains or fresh fruits), it might be you need more time to see a difference, but I, personally, would expect you to see one per the yeast.

Are you seeing the same doc for this each time, who keeps prescribing the same thing? If so, is it possible for you to get a second opinion from another provider?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.