Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control inactive pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control inactive pills
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on here before, but to refresh my girlfriend was off her birth control for 3 weeks. During this time period we were having sex, but we always use condoms. Once we went twice, I changed the condom washing my hands before putting the fresh condom on. Turns out that day she was between 11.5 and 12.5 hours late on her pill. Like I stated we always use condoms start to finish, no condoms broke, ripped, tore, or leaked. She is now on the second day of her inactive pills. Wondering if there is a certain day most girls get there period on the pill? Do I have anything to worry about? Also, she has spotted during this month, but since she was 3 weeks into her cycle, will she still get her period this month?

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little confused - when you say your girlfriend was off her birth control for three weeks, what exactly do you mean? Had she been taking the pill and then stopped for awhile?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes she was on ortho tri cyclen lo for 5 years. Then due to a job switch and insurance issues she was without her pill for 3 weeks

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

I guess I should also inform you she started taking them again as soon as we got them. Not at the beginning of her cycle

--------------------
UIP

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The withdrawal bleed can come at any point during the week of taking inactive pills. Sometimes, a withdrawal bleed doesn't come at all, and this could possibly happen with your girlfriend as she had a signficiant interruption in her pill-taking.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Yes she had three weeks of not being on her pill. Which in my mind means her body was already doing its thing before we interrupted it. Is it common for people to miss their period when the pill is taken like that?

--------------------
UIP

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, her regular cycle may have started, or it may not have. It can take a few months for the body to establish a hormonal pattern when the pill is stopped. It's not an automatic on/off switch between taking the pill and having a menstrual cycle.

Some people miss their withdrawal bleed sometimes, no matter what. Also, some people tend to skip it during the first few months of taking the pill, which, since there was a three week break, may be how your girlfriend's body is interpreting starting the pill again.

Skipping a withdrawal bleed generally isn't cause for concern if pregnancy is not suspected. Since you've used condoms effectively, the risk of pregnancy is low to nonexistent.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.