Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ridiculous paranoia that won't leave me.... reassurance much needed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ridiculous paranoia that won't leave me.... reassurance much needed.
Celestial
Neophyte
Member # 102244

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Celestial     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, for the past month or so I've somehow convinced myself that I'm pregnant. I haven't been sexually active for four months but over the Christmas break I noticed I was super bloated (probably the disgusting amounts of food consumed then).

Somehow I came to the conclusion of pregnancy and then things were made worse be reading an article about people not knowing they were pregnant until late term.

I'm on birth control and I haven't missed a withdrawal bleed during the four months and have even taken a pregnancy test that was negative.

Still every time I feel a twitch in my stomach or look bloated a wave of panic hits me.....

So ya... help? please?

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Celestial: welcome to the boards.

Were you able to first read through this post?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007275.html

If not, can you go ahead and do that for us first? Thanks!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celestial
Neophyte
Member # 102244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celestial     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
true. But my problem is that even reading that, I'm still paranoid. Do you have any tips on avoiding those irrational fears?

Also, thanks so much for what you guys do. It's awesome [Smile]

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when you went through that, were you able to identify what you think lies under these fears and holds them up? In that post, we gave some basic suggestions.

In order to really help you with this, that's the stuff we'd need to talk abut with you, so we need to start by having some sense of what that is.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celestial
Neophyte
Member # 102244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celestial     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the main thing that lies under the fears is the social dissapproval of unexpected pregnancies. Mainly the fact that I have any chance of being pregnant, terrified/terrifies me.

I guess my main question is, have you witnessed anyone have monthly bleeding and be pregnant? Or is that a ridiculous myth?

Cause logically I know that the body shouldnt be able to sustain a fetus while loosing the uturine lining. But I'm still panicked.

(Sorry if I'm all over the place here)

Heather
Member # 3

Did you check this, too?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/023303.html

I talk about that there.

Also, have you taken all the steps we suggest in that first thread I linked you to, like, for instance, seeing a healthcare provider to have them check you for a pregnancy?

[ 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quickest way to banish pregnancy fears is to just take a test. Since you've already done that and didn't find it persuasive, you could take another or have a doctor give you one (at 4 months, though, a home pregnancy test would definitely be showing something and you can definitely trust a negative result.)

The cold truth about sex is that, if you're going to have vaginal intercourse with a real live penis, you've got to be at least somewhat psychologically able to handle either having a baby or having an abortion, because that risk is always there. If you're THIS worried even after so much reassurance that you're not pregnant, you might want to reconsider what sort of activity you take part in until you're at a point in your life where you don't feel like pregnancy would be so devastating. If you find that you are having a ton of anxiety, a counselor or therapist might be able to help as well.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.