Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill Questions
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proba435     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my situation:

Yesterday was a rough day. I remember taking my Monday pill out of the package and drinking water, but I don't actually remember swallowing the Monday pill.

I visited my pharmacist today and asked about doubling up today just to be safe. She told me I could double up if I wanted to, and that I would just be a day short during my placebo week.

Here are my questions:

In case I did actually take my pill yesterday, how might doubling up today affect my body? It would be like taking 3 pills in two days.

My next question is would being a day short on my placebo week compromise the effectiveness of the following month's cycle? (I would take my last placebo pill on Friday, skip Saturday, and start a new pack on Sunday)

And this is out of curiosity: what would happen if you just skipped a pill entirely, without ever making it up? For example, if someone physically lost it and never made it up? Would that compromise the effectiveness of the pill for the rest of that month, and consequently would you have to wait until a whole other cycle for the pill to be effective again?

Thank you.

--------------------
No Signature

Posts: 8 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proba435     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, by the way.

--------------------
No Signature

Posts: 8 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skipping pills without making them up will typically compromise pill effectiveness. More at one point in a pack than another, but we know that for the pill to be fully effective, people using it have to take an active pill every day of their active pill cycle.

If you make up this pill, you will have to take a pill from your next pack to make up for the make-up pill, if you get me. Otherwise, you'll miss another pill. Missing placebo pills doesn't matter: you don't have to take those at all if you don't want to. And shortening the placebo week, when people do that, doesn't compromise effectiveness, but shortening the active pill three weeks, at all, does.

If you double up, chances are you won't feel any different. Birth control pills of the last couple decades are very low-dose per hormones, and one extra pill is still only a teeny amount of the hormones.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proba435
Neophyte
Member # 98383

If you make up this pill, you will have to take a pill from your next pack to make up for the make-up pill, if you get me.

^I'm a bit confused by this sentence. I was told at the pharmacy I could just take Tuesday & Wednesday from this month's pack, continue using the same pack and then just be short a placebo pill at the end of the month.

--------------------
No Signature

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think something is getting lost in translation here.

So, let me try and be clear.

You need to have taken an active pill EVERY day of the active pill part of your pack.

If you lose a pill Monday, so take Tuesdays, when you get to the end of your active pills in this pack, on the last day, you won't have an active pill to take. Which would make you one short.

To not miss THAT pill, you'll need to take another active pill.

If you just move into the placebo week one day early, you will not shorten the placebo week, but the active week before it. And that compromises effectiveness.

Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.