Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can I safely move on?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I safely move on?
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimjamgirl12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya,

First off I would like to say what a wonderful website this is, a friend recently introduced me and I have to say after reading many posts what a wonderful job you are doing here! [Smile]

I just wanted to ask to see if you think I have any cause for concern here or if I am actually okay to move forward with my life.

I 1000000000% do not want to be pregnant, but I need to have an opinion on my risk etc.
Nearly 4 months ago I had sex, we used a condom, because I stupidly missed the last pill in my pack all together, didn't take it when I remembered, just left it til I started my bleed. Nor did I start my next pack a day earlier or anything. The sex was on the last day of my bleed, which had pretty much gone.
I am not entirely sure whether this happened or not, I may have just put the thought in my mind, but I worried about condom failure, so 12 hours later I took EC. So that's 3 potential types of birth control used, granted not perfect use. I am hoping my risk is reasonably small .. right?

Anyway, I expected my cycle to be off after EC, but from what I remember my bleed came and was normal. I did get worried, as I was told to take a test regardless of whether my bleed came or not, to be sure EC had worked, as I would 'most likely' get it as I was to continue with my pills.

My test was negative. So what's to say if you continue with your pills, even if I got pregnant - EC failed say, that you would still get your bleeds. If the first one would come regardless, wouldn't the rest? Scared me a little that I wouldn't even have my period to rely on as a clue?

Anyway, fast forwarding to now, I recently had bloodwork done, with levels under 2, so after all this time, no sex after the event either, I would have shown positive on a test right? I surely can't be one of these freak stories of a woman who produced a baby on hcg levels under 5.

I keep having dreams of finding out I'm pregnant at 6 months plus, I know they're only dreams, but they're sure as hell scary.

I want to start living my life again you know, I mean I don't think I am actually pregnant, but I'll get some unexplained symptom, one recurring one at the moment is my belly, it has been seriously off for a few weeks now, so that worried me slightly.

Oh and I haven't missed any bleeds, although I have read that women can bleed up until the 4th, 5th, 6th month of a pregnancy - another spanner in the works causing them not to suspect anything :S

What do you think?

Posts: 6 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, jimjamgirl. [Smile]

We ask that users read through this thread before posting about a pregnancy risk: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027495.html

Can you do that for us first, please? Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimjamgirl12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the thread, very informative so thank you.
I would however still reaaaaallly appreciate a personal opinion on this, I understand you are busy though so I will try not to badger you with too many questions.

Many thanks [Smile]

Posts: 6 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the thread and all the links within it, what information didn't it give you that you still need?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

Just what I'm feeling, in general about the whole situation. By a quick skim of my post would you not be overly concerned.
I went to see my doc as I've been having such trouble with my belly and with the timing it scares me. My symptoms mainly consist of gurgling/bubbling sounds and noises, twitching and fluttering in all areas of my belly, both upper and lower - sometimes it is subtle others it can be pretty violent, and it's much more noticeable when I'm resting. I am also so bloated, well I think it's bloating - my stomach has ballooned and is hard all the way down. My doctor just fobbed me off, I was in there with him under 5 minutes, given some ibs tablets, even though I have NEVER had these problems before and said because I'd had a blood test there was no chance of pregnancy, end of. I feel like no one will listen to me or give me a real reason as to why this is happening.
I can't even put it down to PMS, as I had my bleed nearly two weeks ago and this has been going on way longer. It started when I would have been about 12 weeks, if this is a pregnancy problem. Now I would be nearly 19 and it's getting worse.
I guess what I'm asking is can my blood test be wrong, is it possible for women to have a pregnancy with hcg levels under 5. When they say low levels of hcg in pregnancy how low is low?
And again, if you're taking pills and continue to through a pregnancy, because you didn't know otherwise won't your bleeds still come.
If I wasn't presenting such symptoms regarding my belly I probably wouldn't be worried, but the timing just makes it all seem real for me, these are things I have never ever felt before.
I'm scared.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, bleeds would not continue to come if you were pregnant.

How long after the risk you're concerned about was this blood test performed?

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the full medical evaluation you felt you needed from your doctor. Have you started taking the medication he prescribed for you?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

For sure? That's something then!

I had the blood test last week, which would have been 17 weeks after the incident.
The level was less than 2.

Yes, although I have only been on it the last couple of days, which I know is way too soon to see any results. I have just been so caught up in concern, it's annoying because I don't feel ill, this is just causing me to feel not right, and stressed out all the time because of the timing, it just makes me link it back to being pregnant.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many medications do take some time to start working, so I would give it some more time and see what happens.

Another thing to keep in mind is that stress can really do a number on your body, especially if it's over a long period of time. It can affect your immune system, your digestion, all kinds of things, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the stomach problems you're having are related to you being so stressed for so long.

Do you have any techniques to deal with worry that have worked for you in the past? How have you been dealing with the anxiety you're having now?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

I understand that, so I will pursue with this for a while as yet to see if there is a change.

Usually I am the most well put together person, I can deal with stress, talk about issues, and usually once they are solved that is that.

This has just put me in a rut though, I hoped that when the blood test can back that would put it to bed, but I just keep having thoughts of it being wrong.

And I am so sick of how my belly is feeling, like I said it just reminds me of the timing of things, so I guess I'm getting myself into a little bit of a vicious circle.

If there's no chance of me being someone with a extremely low hcg, this far along, then I guess my issues lie elsewhere, but at the moment that thought, that question, that what if is always at the back of my mind.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what is your plan for putting these fears to rest and for managing the anxiety you're feeling? Since the blood test wasn't convincing to you, what would be?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimjamgirl12
Neophyte
Member # 101961

I don't know, if I felt well then this wouldn't be an issue.
My mum felt my stomach and asked me if I was sure I wasn't pregnant. So the doubts about test reliability live on.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.