Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I posted on here before but I have another questions. Back story, my girlfriend has been on BC for 5 years. Due to insurance problems she was off for about 3 weeks. She started her pills again on Jan 14th so less then a week ago. On Thursday she took the pill at night instead of in the morning like she was supposed to be the rest were taken on time. I always use condoms and withdrawal before ejaculation. My question, is would her birth control be doing anything for us right now if I condom would rip? I figure it has to be doing something but I wanted to know what you thought. Remember she did not take it the sunday after the period, she took it on the random day we were able to get the pills. Are we running any real risk?

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Boxerkid1611,

Since there was a break between packs, we do consider that starting from the beginning. So, we always recommend that people use a second method (such as condoms) during the entire first cycle of taking the pills. This is what you're doing. While there's never zero risk when engaging in sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy, you're using highly effective forms of birth control and backing up the pill in a case when we would recommend doing so.

Since your condom use hasn't been compromised thus far, I hear nothing to raise a concern. That is, you're doing everything you can to prevent pregnancy.

Does this help? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does, I guess I should have mentioned though I also withdrawal and finish in another room. Does this add to reducing our risk? The condoms go on correct as well I tried on upside down but I threw it away for a new one? DO I have much of a risk?

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only drawback to using withdrawal with condoms is the possibility that the condom will slip off if withdrawal happens quickly. If you or your partner holds the base of the condom, though, this shouldn't happen.

Here's some reading about birth control for you.

Condoms

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

I read everything you posted about birth controls thank you. I guess I'm still at a loss of if I am taking a big chance having sex with her when she's only been back on the pill for 6 days. Is the pill effective at all yet? Am I being safe with what we are doing?

--------------------
UIP

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Boxerkid, Robin explained that we recommend people use a back-up method for the first cycle of a pill (because no, it is not at its full effectiveness yet), and you are already doing that, which is awesome. The buddy system article she linked you to will give you an estimated percentage of how effective your methods are when added together. Is there anything in those articles you need help clarifying?
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

well should I count her being on birth control as an option we are using or should I not count that yet?

--------------------
UIP

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.