Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Am I covered?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I covered?
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take alesse and have been for years (same time everyday), it is also the only form of protection used. Today I was prescribed Cefuroxime (10 days). Is it okay to take the antibiotics if I had unprotected sex last Friday? It has not been 7 days since(I heard sperm can live in the body for this long, but I am not sure if this is true for just women who do not take hormonal birth control or also for those who do). How is it possible for antibiotics to affect the effectiveness of birth control during antibiotic use AND after but not before given that sperm can survive for a few days??

Is it okay to take the antibiotic starting tomorrow or Thursday without risk of pregnancy? Ill add that I should be getting my period/withdrawal bleed next week. If I started these antibiotics latest Thursday, my antibiotic use would go into next week, the week of my period, and my last antibiotic would be on my last birth control placebo day before I start my new pack of Alesse(Sunday Feb 3). Am I automatically protected for all of February or do I have to use backup for that month as well because my antibiotic use ran into the placebo week? Or am I protected after 7 hormonal pills from my new pack (so by Feb 9th)?

Just need some clarification. Thanks

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we know that often enough, antibiotics might not, or don't, have ANY impact on the effectiveness of hormonal BNC methods, what's advised is to back up while you are taking them as a precaution.

But I don't know of any sound health information that suggests anyone needs to worry about intercourse they engaged in before using antibiotics around this.

Ultimately, there's no having intercourse without any risk of pregnancy even using your pill with NO antibiotics, so your second question is one where I can't say there'd be no risk of pregnancy if you're going to engage in that kind of sex.

I advise, to err on the side of caution, you back up while using the antibiotic, but that's also something you can always check with your prescribing physician about (either the one who prescribed those or the one that prescribes your pill, if they're different people).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it is not 100% fact that all antibiotics will affect birth control, but best to just assume they do.

So it would seem silly for me to postpone antibiotic treatment if I need it, as there is no real warning about unprotected sex before antibiotic use? If I started this Thursday, it would be 6 days(including Thursday) since having sex. Does anyone know if sperm actually lives for as long as 6-7 days or is that just a precautionary number to use (6-7 days would be rare?)?

And I know there is always a risk of pregnancy when only the pill is being used for protection, but would my protection be back to normal if I am not taking any antibiotics into my new pack? How long is extra precautions needed?

I am also going to try to ask my doctor these questions but I work everyday so I can't guarantee I can make an appointment. And asking the experts in the forum eases my mind. Thanks

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By all means, if you have been prescribed antibiotics, you want to start taking them as soon as you have.

This stuff about worries about lingering sperm cells simply isn't sound, especially given part of the way the BC method you use works is changing the vaginal environment to make it more hostile to sperm anyway.

Like I said, I recommend backing up while using antibiotics, but if you want to really err on the side of caution, through the whole of a pack you're using you can back up.

But why don't you check in with your doctor, too, so you can have all our feedback to figure this out. You don't need an appointment for that: you should just be able to call into their office and get an answer from the doctor or their staff.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.