Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Problem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem?
rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rldove13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I went over to my boyfriends college and we had sex several times but the first time we did I think the condom may have got turned inside out and then flipped around and used. I am on birth control and this is the first week of my pack and I was late on one of the pills leading up to the event. Should I have gotten emergency contraception?

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

Posts: 136 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since we're at around the point where you're past using EC, I'm not sure it's sound to talk about what you should or shouldn't have done.

Your boyfriend surely knows how he put the condom on -- if he was the one who did: otherwise you know, right? But either way, all you can really do at this point is work to take your pills properly and wait this out.

For future reference, do make sure you take your pills on time. It's really important for the pill to be effective, especially in that first cycle if you're relying on it right away. And with condoms, if ever your boyfriend or you do first put the condom on inside out, you want to ditch that one and open and put on a new one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rldove13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long after can you take a pregnancy test?

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

Posts: 136 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests always include instructions with them, which include telling you when a test can be effective and give an accurate answer.

But as a general rule, you want to wait to test until a period is late or missed, and that usually means when it's 5 or more days later than the latest you'd expect it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.