Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can anal sex cause pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anal sex cause pregnancy?
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnneeeee9595     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm back again (sorry) lol, anyways I have a question. If my boyfriend were to use a condom and pull out before ejaculation during anal could I become pregnant? Thanks guys [Smile]
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you're already describing the use of two birth control methods, condoms and withdrawal. As with use of any birth control method used when there is genital contact, protection isn't 100% but the more effective the birth control is the less likely pregnancy is. If we were talking about unprotected genital contact, there would be risk as there is with all genital contact, though less risk than with vaginal intercourse.

Does this answer your question?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BriAnneeeee9595     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! So anal sex can't cause pregnancy if we use these two forms of bc?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Robin said, with the kinds of sex that can cause pregnancy, no form/combination of forms of birth control provides 100% protection against pregnancy. It does however greatly reduce your risks of pregnancy.

For info on all kinds of pairings of contraception methods and their combined effectiveness rates, you can check out this article:
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

But anal sex can't cause pregnancy?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anal sex IS a form of sexual activity that can pose a pregnancy risk. It's a lower than the risk of vaginal intercourse, but it IS possible to become pregnant from having anal intercourse. Here's a good, short article that clarifies this:
What anal sex is and is not

But as Robin and I stated, because you are using two forms of birth control, your risk of pregnancy is greatly reduced.

Does that make sense?

[ 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

But I only see a risk if the male was to ejaculate? He definetly wouldn't so I don't see how there is a risk?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-ejaculate (pre-cum) can also contain sperm, so even if your partner didn't ejaculate, there's still the possibility of pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Hey, I know I'm a few weeks late.. But my boyfriend and I attempted this on the day I posted this question (the 8th). I was due for my period the 21st (it didn't come but I'm very irregular). Today, however, I started spotting but no heavy bleeding started. Could it be implantation? I figured it's be too late.. And we didn't even do anal because it was too painful. He attempted to put it in but that's basically it. Should I be worried? :/
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

There's no way for us to know what the spotting is from, but the situation you described poses a very low risk because of the two forms of contraception you used. So it's highly unlikely that this is implantation bleeding because, as you already know, it's highly unlikely that you are pregnant. A few days late for a period actually isn't late at all, that's more just normal variation in people's cycles.

I also don't think we'll ever tell you that you "should" be worried, no matter what situation you find yourself in [Wink] I think especially in this situation, worrying won't help with anything. I suggest waiting for a bit longer (about a week) to see if your period has started, and if not, you can take a pregnancy test so you can have some peace of mind.

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Ahhh okay lol [Smile] I don't want to go into Christmas worrying, so I'll try not too. Maybe I'll wake up to a Christmas gift of my period. Lol.. Also if a woman is pregnant and implantation bleeding was to occur, how long after conception would it actually happen?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Have you seen this post yet? http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/023303.html

It contains lots of info about implantation bleeding.

I hope you are able to stop yourself from worrying and enjoy your christmas [Smile] It may help you reassure yourself if you read this:
Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

I guess you're right and I don't really have anything to worry about! Maybe my period is just off to a rough start lol. But thank you for the help [Smile]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

No problem! Periods do just vary from time to time without there being anything to worry about, and this is especially the case if you've been stressing out about possibly being pregnant!

So, breathe deeply, read the Chicken Soup article, check back with the Buddy System article to remind yourself exactly how wonderfully effective your birth control pairing is, maybe read M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period? if you haven't already, just to reassure yourself by remembering all the other (much more likely) reasons you could have a late period. And then remember to have a great time on christmas [Smile]

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Hi again! Okay I know this is probably gonna seem like a crazy question.. But as I mentioned last month I had anal sex. Since then my boyfriend and I haven't been sexual in any way whatsoever. However, my question is, although I had a period december 25th until probably December 29th or 30th, which is shorter than the average length of time for my period, I'm usually seven days. It was still very heavy and awful cramping. Could I still be pregnant though I did get what appeared to be my period? Thanks and sorry if this is extremely stupid. Lol
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting your period is a pretty good sign that you're not pregnant. If you're still concerned though, you can take a pregnancy test.

It is important to remember that our periods can vary, both in the short and long term. A 4-5 day bleed sounds normal for a period. You can read more about menstruation here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation

Hope that helps,

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, getting a period means you are not pregnant. [Smile]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

Thank yall! But also I can usually tell when I ovulate, and I don't think I have this month. I have begun exercising which is something I haven't been doing, and I'm very irregular. Should I be worried at all? I don't believe that I had a pregnancy risk last month because he used a condom and we didn't even have intercourse, just anal, and he pulled out as well. Actually we hardly got started lol. But yeah, imam I worrying for nothing since I did get my period?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exercise can certainly have an impact on one's cycle, and if you're irregular anyway, it's not surprising that your cycle is different.

From everything you listed above, do *you* think you have a reason to keep worrying?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

I don't! But I'm a worry wart. Lol what do you think?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's not really an opinion thing. Facts are facts. [Smile]

My answer is going to be the same as what's in the material we publish here. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

So the fact is that I'm crazy because I got my period so I can't be pregnant.. Right? Haha
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, I wouldn't and didn't say you're crazy. [Smile] But yes, again, getting one's period is a pretty solid indication that one isn't pregnant. If you want more assurance, you always have the option of taking a pregnancy test.

I wanted to check in with you about whether you wanted to explore other birth control options, as it's pretty clear you've been worrying a lot about this.

--------------------
Robin

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

I would actually like to be put on birth control just for my own piece of mind, however I know my mom would never allow that because she of course would think that I'm having sex, which I won't lose my actual virginity until my wedding night. It's just a tough spot for me I guess lol
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

How comfortable and secure do you feel engaging in anal sex with the protection of condoms alone?

--------------------
Robin

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

I don't plan on engaging in anal sex again, honestly. I'm not comfortable with him wearing a condom and pulling out. That's not enough for me. Sex is tricky I tell ya. Lol it's caused alot of anxiety and paranoia for me. Though I thoroughly enjoy it I guess im just stuck at a dead end street.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, there are many types of sexual activities that don't pose a risk of pregnancy that partners can enjoy together. Have you and your boyfriend discussed what types of sexual activities you're both interested in engaging in together?

--------------------
Robin

BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

We have. And these that are risk free would be manual and oral, right?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You got it.

Here's a list of sexual acitivities than don't pose pregnancy risks:

NO Pregnancy Risks

--------------------
Robin

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link with lots of sexual activity that pose no pregnancy risk:
NO Pregnancy Risks

quote:
I would actually like to be put on birth control just for my own piece of mind, however I know my mom would never allow that because she of course would think that I'm having sex, which I won't lose my actual virginity until my wedding night.
You know, your mother would be correct, you ARE having sex. Anal intercourse is sex, it poses pregnancy and STI risks, and poses more risks in some ways than vaginal intercourse, like with STIs and chance of injury.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BriAnneeeee9595
Activist
Member # 99438

I'm not going to have anal sex, though. We hardly even attempted it. Thanks for the link though! I'll check it out!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.