Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » how light is light?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how light is light?
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherylcakes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading that if your period is shorter or lighter than normal, you could be pregnant. how light is light, and how short is short?
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you taken a pregnancy test? pregnancy tests are always going to be the most accurate, indeed really *the* only way, to determine whether one is pregnant or not.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherylcakes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, no I haven't... I was waiting for the 21 day mark past the genital contact on the 20th December 2012 [Smile]
however, I had achey breasts from the 12th dec (so days before the genital contact, which is a normal pms symptom for me). I started bleeding, with reaallly bad cramps on the 30th of December 2012, I know I had took EC 10 days prior, but it did feel like a normal period,and I was due around then, it lasted 5-6 days with dark blood, heavy flow in places, tissue and everything (sorry, tmi :/) and my achey boobs disappeared soon after it had started, like they do with a normal period.ill be honest... im scared to test. I swore to myself after October that id never have to take another test unless it was a real proper risk [Frown]

[ 01-05-2013, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Cherylcakes ]

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as we often say around here, if it looked like a period, acted like a period, came when you expected a period, then it was a period.

Trying to guess whether one is pregnant or not based on bleeding really isn't sound. I know you promised yourself you wouldn't have to test again unless there was a real risk, but it sounds like you're feeling like this was a real risk, so testing seems like a sensible option for you--a good first step to put these fears at rest.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

im just so scared itll be positive...im not strong enough to go through that on my own. [Frown]

[ 01-06-2013, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Cherylcakes ]

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

[ 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Cherylcakes ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You had these fears the last time you tested, remember? ...and you survived. *gentle smile*

It is scary to feel alone when going through things we find difficult. Who in your life can you get support from with this?

[ 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

this is true [Razz]

only, this time, i took a risk- its not like im testing after something with no risk such as manual sex- i had penis-to- anus contact (previous thread).

again, noone i fully trust, and i so tired of this whole situation. i know its my fault this has happened, but im so mentally exhausted about this i dont care anymore. [Frown]

[ 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Cherylcakes ]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heym Cherylcakes.

It's a bit tough to know quite how to address concerns you post here when they're followed with statements like how you don't care, or how you're accepting problems, since you obviously do care, and obviously don't want things to be like they have been, as evidenced by coming here and posting, asking for help. You know?

Really, if and when we think we may be pregnant, and we know that's a real possibility, we need to buck up, take a test and find out. Certainly, we could wait several months or more until it's clear what the outcome is, but if it's pregnancy, that's going to limit our options and create extra health risks.

So, it seems that now, your options are test or don't test. But if you choose not to, then I think it's fair for us to ask you not to bring continued concerns about possible pregnancy here. Okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

okay...so ive decided to test tomorrow...but im so scared this time [Frown]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

So what strategies are you going to use to get yourself through the fear?

Alternatively, if you already have the test, how about testing now so you don't have to go through that fear until tomorrow?

--------------------
Robin

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

saying to myself 'maybe, just maybe, itll be negative, did you ever think of that?' [Smile]

nope, I don't have the test with me right now.

Cherylcakes
Activist
Member # 98294

just took it- negative. [Big Grin]

this makes it 27 days since the risk- the results can be trusted, right?

I need to change my life, my outlook, I know I do. my minds made up- next period, I get birth control [Smile] would it be a bad idea to get both the implant and an IUD, and use condoms?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The implant and the IUD are as close to 100% effective as it gets, so pairing them doesn't make sense. Plus, if the IUD you want to use is a hormonal one (the Mirena), it can't be paired with another hormonal method.

Just one of those methods + condoms not only gives you the most protection you can possible have from pregnancy outside of not engaging in intercourse at all, not to mention STI protection.

And yes: if you followed the directions on your test, you can trust the results.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.