Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just askin' :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just askin' :)
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I started my first pack ever of birth control mid cycle a little over a month ago, it delayed my period, and though it was much lighter than usual I got a period or withdrawal bleed during the inactive pills like I was supposed to. I am on day 8 of my 2nd pack. I was curious (due to my pregnancy worries in the past) are these pills now working to prevent pregnancy? Bc they say when you start pills like I did you aren't protected in the first pack.

My second question is if I take pills 2-4 hours late, am I still safe?

My third thing is: I've had three periods, one negative test, talked (emailed) to a doctor, and talked to you all since the last incident that gave me pregnancy fears. I keep thinking " I don't want to be a person who forgets it and something happens later" but especially if a doctor said don't worry... It's safe to say I can put any fear I had behind me with my period, neg. test, doctors answer, etc. right? Thanks!

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi m_azul! After one full cycle (taken without missing any), the pill will be at its full effectiveness -- so you should be covered now. The pill doesn't count as late until it's been 12 hours since the time you were supposed to take it. So taking it 2-4 hours late shouldn't affect its effectiveness at all [Smile]

There's more on how the pill works here:
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)
How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

If you talked to a doctor, you should already know the answer to whether there was any need for concern around the incident, right? If you'd trust our opinion on that, you can also trust a doctor's [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I'm glad I'm covered now and can relax [Smile] and okay. It's a new year, and I have a lot of exciting things going on and I just want to move forward and be happy, ya know?

But thanks a lot for your answer and the links!

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! I definitely understand wanting to be able to put this behind you and get on with your life [Smile] If you think you won't be comfortable with just the one form of birth control (which many people aren't) I'd suggest to continue using condoms while you're on the pill, so that you have a backup if either one of them fails. If you want, you can check out this article for other birth control pairings you could try out:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Yeah, I just think my stomach has been... Weird. But it could be the pills. Idk. But okay, thanks for the buddy system info. I haven't had actual intercourse so idk that I need it just yet, but tell definitely be useful info when I do [Smile]
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Also, I know this is probably a silly question, but if a girl has a 27-29 inch waist and was like three months pregnant it would be noticeable anyway wouldn't it?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, people's experiences with pregnancy vary so much from each other (and even for one person one pregnancy may not be like another) that I really think it's soundest to evaluate not being pregnant based on periods, negative pregnancy tests, etc, than on what it might be like to be pregnant. Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, people's experiences with pregnancy vary so much from each other (and even for one person one pregnancy may not be like another) that I really think it's soundest to evaluate not being pregnant based on periods, negative pregnancy tests, etc, than on what it might be like to be pregnant. Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Yes, makes sense [Smile] I've talked to you about a lot of the things I've been through. I just wanted to ask you Robin, is it sound to now move on and leave all this behind me with no worries?
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Oh! And I forgot to ask. In the links it says bc pills thicken mucus to make it more difficult for sperm. Is that something different than discharge? Because my discharge is still pretty much like it's always been...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cervical mucus is at and around the cervix.

Sometimes, that might mean we see thicker discharge, but often, it won't cause a noticeable change in discharges we see on underpants or toilet paper.

(Robin is away for the week.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Ah okay. I didn't know if that meant the same, but I know now. Thank you Heather!
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

So no worries with what I've discussed with you and robin? [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't tell you what to worry about and what not to. But what I can say, and often do, is that worrying doesn't accomplish anything regardless, it only gives us more stress to manage, and that's never good.

I like to focus on what a person can and can't do.

At this point, per your scare, is there anything you can do to reduce any risks? Doesn't seem like it, especially since it doesn't sound like you had any in the first place. Seems like all you can do is to try and chill and wait for your withdrawal bleed.

How about moving forward? Maybe you make sure to back up for your peace of mind with condoms if you do engage in sexual activity, or think some more about if that's something you even feel ready to handle anytime soon?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay [Smile] you're right about the worry stuff. And I'll take precaution if engage in risky activity. But you said it wasn't risky in the first place. Sorry, I just like reassurance. Thanks [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

No need to be sorry, it's just that ultimately, with things like this, I think it's smart to pay attention to the level of reassurance we need.

if it's a lot, and it sounds like it is, then it's usually a cue about something for us that we can be or need to be proactive around. Like, perhaps in your case, slowing anything sexual way down for now, figuring you won't speed them up, and/or backing anything up with condoms. Or, maybe on top of that, getting more education about how your pill works or how pregnancy does or doesn't happen?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

You're right. And I understand how it doesn't happen with the pill, I just keep bringing up my past worries. Which I wish I didn't do. I went to my gyno for a consultation, but I was too scared to tell her my incident that I was worried about (silly), so I used the emailing service my divot has and explained her everything. I'm sure she would have said if someone I had done sounded alarming for pregnancy or anything else, do you think that too?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep, I absolutely do.

And for future reference, if it helps, I assure you that it's always okay to talk to a sexual/reproductive healthcare provider about fears like this, and also about your sexual history. healthcare providers in this field are trained to be sensitive about all of this, and also know full well how little education around it some people have.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay good [Smile] because she was awesome about emailing me back, and she said what you all told me as well as "plus you're now covered with birth control" and I told her this had happened prior to birth control, and I thanked her and she didn't message back. I suppose that meant it was still okay.
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you're all good [Smile]

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Hey there, I was just thinking of a lot of things, and I think ive found the answer to why I have been so worried about becoming pregnant... My unstable relationship. Since its such a long story, I won't go into much detail. I just feel that the friction between my partner and I is what causes my terrible pregnancy scares.

Like today, we got into a fight , and my fears came back :/ I guess I'm like "what if we're apart and I turn out pregnant?" Which is probably silly, but I feel that's the cause here.

But my stomach feels like its expanding... Idk if its just me, or just starting bc pills, or what. But as you see above my doctor wasn't concerned when I emailed her. My last negative home test was a month after my incident, and that was plenty of time to get a reliable answer, right?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI m_azul,

It makes a lot of sense that your fears would be fueled by things feeling iffy and uncertain with your relationship. If it helps to hear this, know that we hear from a lot of folks who find that their pregnancy fears are rooted in some type of uncertainty or problem around their relationship.

Would you like to talk about what's going on with your relationship?

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Hey. I was wondering about the last part of my last post. Also, I don't know. He's sexually frustrated all the time... Which causes problems.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I think we've already covered that in this thread, yes? Above, where we talked about how you've had several withdrawal bleeds, the negative pregnancy test, the reassurance from the doctor, etc.

If you feel like you're putting on weight and it's troubling you, or having unexplainable bloating, or any other ongoing discomfort, that's certainly worth discussing with a healthcare provider, as there could be any number of reasons for any of these things to occur

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

You're right, it's probably nothing, and I am just thinking its major bloating or something. So I guess that there's no reason to spend money on a test AGAIN. When the others weren't needed... But for peace of mind. And just remind myself to calm down
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

...and if you do need that peace of mind from another test, and you feel like you can spare the money, there is no harm in it.

If the bloating persists and you're not feeling well, it is sound to have that checked out by a health care professional. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

I don't have the money for another, but I suppose there isn't a need if a doctor didn't sound concerned, you think? And okay. I have to have a checkup soon, and actually, I do have irritable bowel syndrome. So that could definitely be the cause.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, from what I understand IBS can be the cause of all kinds of digestive-related difficulties. If you feel like you need to go in sooner than your check-up is scheduled, you can always give the office a call and see if they can move your appointment up.

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Thanks Robin! Maybe these fears will go away as my relationship heals. If the fears don't go away, I suppose the next step would have to be counselling wouldn't it?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Counselling would certainly be one option.

In general, have you been able to share your fears with other people? With your partner, family, or friends? Often when fears aren't kept secret they can tend to lose their hold a bit--or a lot.

--------------------
Robin

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Counselling would certainly be one option.

In general, have you been able to share your fears with other people? With your partner, family, or friends? Often when fears aren't kept secret they can tend to lose their hold a bit--or a lot.

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Well I've told my partner of course, and he has let things go since my first period and negative test and no longer gets worried and tells me not to. I've also talked to a cousin, but she believes you can get pregnant by sex alone (so that didn't help much), id rather not talk to a parent... But they believe the same as my cousin. I also told one friend about my worries (not the specific act I'm worried about) and she told me not to. I've also talked to my doctor via email. It has helped, a lot, but it seems I go through this continuous cycle.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.