Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » hair loss and birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hair loss and birth control
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandalynn27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of hair loss as a side affect of contraceptives with progestins. If you stop using the birth control, will the hair grow back, even if you've been on that method a few years?
Posts: 26 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that we have that data.

Is this something you're dealing with, and it's been investigated by a physician with any other causes ruled out?

If so, I can certainly take a peek around and see if we've any long term studies on this.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amandalynn27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like I could be losing more hair, but I was not checking before I went on birth control! I'll ask at dermatology, which I have to visit for something else anyway.
Posts: 26 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, given that I'd say that's not a common side effect, I'd first have a healthcare provider check you out for much more common causes of hair loss.

At the same time, I'd say that "it seems like I could be losing more hair," probably indicates you're not having hair loss. We normally "shed" hair, and if you're not seeing anything that seems pretty out of the ordinary, chances are you're just fine, as is your pill.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

[ 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: amandalynn27 ]

amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

I pick 4-15 hairs off clothes each day, none on the pillow or shower drain, no more than usual in the brush or vaccum. Never counted hairs on clothes before birth control
amandalynn27
Neophyte
Member # 96298

If I find out anything interesting/weird at dermatology, I'd be happy to put it on one of the general boards.
Heather
Member # 3

We're all about the weird and interesting around here, so sure thing. [Smile]

But just FYI, that doesn't sound to me like unusual hair loss, but like pretty typical hair loss. Mind, this is very much not my expertise, and I base that on myself more than anything, and I have a lot of hair and long hair, so hair everywhere is kind of a way of life for me. [Razz]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.