Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A wee bit anxious

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A wee bit anxious
yellowbird9
Neophyte
Member # 101591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowbird9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on birth control in mid-October. The second pack, I started one day late and then doubled up the next day and continued to take the pill every day. I don't think I took the pill later than an 1 hour-3 hrs later than I should have. During the placebo week, I had gotten my period. On one of the last days of my period, I think there was some contact with my boyfriend's penis and my vagina (and I say think because I really didn't realize, it was outercourse and I had my shorts on, but I kind of realized no more than a minute). The next day we had sex (I lost my virginity that day)and he had used a condom, we checked the condom and it had not broken. The following day, I started my new pack on time.
This month, my breast starting hurting, and they still do now. I have four more active pills. I'm kind of apprehensive about this situation, and I also don't know if my nipples (areolas) have been getting darker because 1)I'm looking for pregnancy signs, and I'm very, very terrified and 2)my areolas are already dark by nature. I haven't had to pee more than often, no have I been more tired than usual, I can almost always just sleep whenever I want.
My question (or questions, really), is how likely is it that I'm pregnant? I'm honestly pretty terrified right now, I've had more than one "pregnancy scare", although the first two weren't even likely that I could have gotten pregnant because there was no contact to contact with bare genitals. Also, can starting one day late but continuing the rest of the pack going to kill the effectiveness of the pill?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI yellowbird9 and Welcome to Scarleteen,

If you haven't yet seen this post, can you take a look please? If you have more questions after reading it, come on back and we'll talk about them. [Smile]

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027786.html

Thanks.

[ 01-07-2013, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowbird9
Neophyte
Member # 101591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowbird9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the quick response! And yes I have read that post, and I have also read all the articles (multiple of times hahaha). I think a better question would be, is it normal to have breast tenderness the third month of bcp? I did the first month because I did the quick start, and I'm not certain if it did last month.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's normal to have breast tenderness at any time, in any situation, simply by virtue of having breasts, actually.

In other words, that really can happen at any time just because they're there and one has breast tissue.

But, breast tenderness is also a very common side effect of hormonal methods of birth control, at any time. For some people, they have it when they start and it goes away, for others it comes later or is only now and then, for others still, breasts are more tender the whole time they're using a method.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowbird9
Neophyte
Member # 101591

Again, thanks again for the ultra quick response. And thank you, this makes me feel better, I'm pretty concerned, but I will take a test if my period is late in the following days after the active pills.
I think I have gone over every single scenario. I'm just hoping that the pill didn't fail on me, although the chances I know are pretty slim.

Thanks again.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dual contraception -- using more than one method, like the pill + condoms as you have -- really is as close to 100% effectiveness as it gets. So few people always do that, but we can safely say that those who do? Unless they seriously bungle BOTH methods, they're probably more likely to be struck by lightning than to become pregnant.

Really. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yellowbird9
Neophyte
Member # 101591

I'm mostly worried about the previous night where he didn't have a condom on, and about pre-ejaculatory fluids, but it really didn't last long because I noticed what had happened and stopped pretty much immediately. Haha, but I started my new pack the following day on time and had continued to take it every day at the exact time to prevent ovulation for that case. And then I started to feel dizzy a week after (but I'm more than certain that's because I quit smoking, and since I was smoking a pack every other day, it was bound to happen). And then I think my chest started to become sore then progressed to my breasts. But I'll just wait it out, hoping for the best haha.
Heather
Member # 3

So, then what you know from here, is that it seems pretty clear you don't feel comfortable going without a condom, right?

All you can do about that now per anything that resulted from that is wait it out. But, more importantly, you can use what you've learned since per these worries to make choices in the future in better alignment with what you need to feel comfortable.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

yellowbird9
Neophyte
Member # 101591

Definitely. Thanks again. I have four more days +2 with the placebo pills, in hopes that I'll get my period.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.