Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Somewhat Unique Situation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Somewhat Unique Situation
1079Jay
Neophyte
Member # 101301

Icon 5 posted      Profile for 1079Jay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I engaged in anal sex for the first time a few days ago. After I finished, I proceeded to wipe the area with a tissue, and there did not appear to be any semen leak up toward the vaginal area. (We were laying on our side, so I don't see how anything would leak anywhere but down.) Also, we are both virgins and totally monogamous, so STIs are not an issue. During this event, my girlfriend was on her period, with a pad on, and there did not appear to be any semen anywhere on the pad. She is also on the pill, and has not missed a day in a few months. My question is, should I even be the least bit concerned about a possible pregnancy? I know it might seem somewhat silly, but I read all of your articles and couldn't figure out if we have any legit pregnancy risks or not. Thank you so much in advance.
Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI 1079Jay and welcome to Scarleteen,

As a general rule of thumb, any time there is direct contact between a bare penis and the bare genitals of someone who has a vulva (including the anus) it is considered a pregnancy risk. So, while penis-in-vagina intercourse presents the greatest amount of risk, anal intercourse or rubbing bare genitals together are also considered a risk.

If you are trying to prevent pregnancy from occurring: Your girlfriend has the option of taking emergency contraception if it has been less than five days since this happened. If it has been more than five days, or she does not wish to take or cannot access emergency contraception, she'll want to take a pregnancy test 14 or more days after the risk occurred to determine whether pregnancy did or did not take place.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1079Jay
Neophyte
Member # 101301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1079Jay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well she is on the pill already.
Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies for mmissing that about being on the pill. It's been a busy day! [Smile]

The birth control pill has been found to be 92% effective with typical use and 99% effective with perfect use at preventing pregnancy. So long as your girlfriend takes her pill consistently every day at around the same time she has a high level of pregnancy-protection from it. If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you could use a condom the next time you engage in anal sex or any other genital sexual activity.

[ 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1079Jay
Neophyte
Member # 101301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1079Jay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay and no worries. Thank you for the reply, since she really never misses, I'm not going to worry too much on this one! Once we start having vaginal sex, I will use a condom for sure. Thank you.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It's also always okay, and even beneficial, to use a condom for anal sex. Because there's a greater risk of infections with anal sex (the presence of bacteria, and the fact that the anal and rectal tissues are very delicate increase irritation and infection likelihood) using a condom can keep things clean and feeling good.

Here's some more information on that.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/anal_sex_no_different

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/anal_sex_lowdown

--------------------
Robin

1079Jay
Neophyte
Member # 101301

I'll take a read, thank you for all your help, again. I feel much more relaxed. [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome. [Smile] Any time.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.