Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnant on the Pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant on the Pill?
porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for porcelainbackbones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been on the pill over a year now, and last month I had finals, was in the process of moving into a new apartment, ect, and was very stressed and didn't take my pill a couple times. I missed about three pills twice and therefore had two "periods." However, I resumed taking my pills and during this time had sex with my boyfriend. However, he pulled out before he came.
When it came time for me to take the placebo pills at the end of the 28 day cycle, I didn't bleed at all. So my question is, is this something to do with me bleeding before in the month, stress, or could I be pregnant?
Please help :/ Thank you!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you make up any or all of the pills you had missed?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for porcelainbackbones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I just started taking them again. I had taken 5 after missing 2 earlier the previous week.
Thanks for the quick reply [Smile]

[ 12-25-2012, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: porcelainbackbones ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay.

So, first off, if there's a next-time-around with this, when you miss a pill, it's very important to make the pill up. So long as you do that, then at most, you'll probably only wind up with typical use effectiveness of the pill. The effectiveness might not even go as low as that.

But when you don't make up missed pills, then you do potentially botch up your pill. And when you miss three or more, at that point, what's advised is to stop taking the pills for that cycle, take a placebo week, then start the new pack, using a backup method from when you started missing pills until you've been in your new pack for at least once week.

So, since you didn't make up pills or, from the sounds of things, do that, and you have not yet had your withdrawal bleed as expected, I'm afraid pregnancy certainly is a real possibility here. If, through all of this your partner used withdrawal perfectly, it's a much smaller risk, but since that tends to be one of the two least effective methods of contraception in typical use, that wasn't a backup that gave you a high level of protection.

So, I'd go ahead and take a pregnancy test now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just saw your edit: so you missed three one week, but the week before missed two, and then took five?

If the last post I gave didn't give you all the info you needed on taking your pills properly, sounds like you could use a review. And if you're missing pills a lot like this, it also might be wise to consider switching to a different method that works better for you, like one you don't have to remember every day.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

Okay. But could the lack of withdrawal bleed have anything to do with the bleeding earlier in the month at all?

I'm going to get a test as soon as I can :/ I'm really scared.

Heather
Member # 3

Yes, it could.

But I'd still go ahead and test since you know you did have a risk.

I know it's scary (which is why, let's make sure, after you test, we do some talking about using contraception methods that work and finding the right one for you, okay?). But it is something where not knowing is never helpful. And no matter the result, we're happy to help see you through it and give you what support you need.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

And I know missing pills isn't good...I'm going to look into alternate methods of birth control. But yes, I missed five pills that month. Two in the first week, three later on, then I took five for the five days before I had sex then took them after.
Heather
Member # 3

Yeah, you bungled it. It happens.

But let's start with that test so you know what you are or aren't dealing with, okay?

Then we can talk more about other methods, maybe also about negotiating condoms with your partner, etc.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

Correction actually after looking at my pill packet: I had sex right before I was meant to get my period!

Also, I have a doctor's appointment this week so maybe I can talk to my doctor.

[ 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: porcelainbackbones ]

Heather
Member # 3

Regardless of when you had sex, I'm afraid you'll need to accept you had real pregnancy risks here.

For sure, you can ask your doctor to run a pregnancy test for you, if that's how you'd like to test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

porcelainbackbones
Neophyte
Member # 101209

Update: I took two tests and they both came out negative!
Heather
Member # 3

Wahoo! [Smile]

I'm about to step out for a little bit, but when I'm back, if you want to talk now about considering better methods for you and/or negotiating condom use so you've a good backup, just let me know.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.