Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Little semen in condom indicates slippage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Little semen in condom indicates slippage?
cm_fpmyp
Neophyte
Member # 101205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cm_fpmyp         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone, this is my first post and thank you for providing this service!

My boyfriend and I have been using condoms and withdrawal for birth control. We use both carefully and correctly, and this is the first time we have had any problems. I don't have many other options b/c of medical issues (can't do long term hormonal, IUD couldn't be fitted, and spermicide irritates). We have been together and monogamous for over a year and we are OK on STIs, so I am not worried about that.

Recently, we had vaginal sex and I felt a bit more wet than usual. Also, his penis slipped out of me and came back in right before he withdrew finally and ejaculated. When we were finished, I asked him to check the condom to make sure there was no breakage. He reported back no problems there, but there was significantly less semen in the condom than normally.

We concluded that the condom may have slipped, even through he held the base properly. So I took EC, and I am not very worried; given the time in my cycle, and the fact he withdrew, and the lack of breakage, we are in good shape. Of course I am a bit nervous, but now I just have to wait it out until I can take a test or get my period. I know the EC might delay my period a few days, so I will keep that in mind.

What I want to know is whether a slip likely happened, or if a small amount of ejaculate is normal for a guy. He says he is not aware that it has happened before, but he doesn't usually check his condom unless we think there might be a problem. He gets more ejaculate in other situations, and often during vaginal sex, but how much variation is normal? How likely is there to be slippage if his penis slips out and back into my vagina right before final withdrawal and ejaculation?

any advice, experience, and thoughts would be helpful.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI cm_fpmyp and welcome to scarleteen,

It seems unlikely that the condom slipped off then slipped back on to look perfectly in place. It would be more likely, if the condom had slipped, for something to look amiss.

Amounts of ejaculate can vary.

If a penis slips out of a vagina, it is possible for the condom to slipp off and stay in the vagina, which would constitute a condom failure, but that's not what you're describing here.

So, this sounds to me more like a fluke than anything.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we talk about a condom slipping per efficacy, we usually have it followed by the word "off."

If a condom doesn't slip OFF, it's a non-issue when it comes to pregnancy prevention.

What sounds most likely here is simply that the volume of his ejaculate was smaller than usual, which will happen. People don't always ejaculate the same amounts every time. People also don't always ejaculate every time they orgasm, either, so sometimes that volume will be none. Variations with volume aren't any cause for concern.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.