Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Hello

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again. I read your new policies just now on asking questions and such and I hope this is an okay question to ask - I think I just need some reassurance. I took two pregnancy tests about a month ago both of which were negative (I didn't use FMU because if I had been pregnant I would have been about 2 months pregnant - so correct me if I could have gotten inaccurate results from those). And since they were negative I took y'all's advice and accepted that and went on with life totally fine. And I know this isn't something I should trust but a friend of mine was talking to a bunch of us saying how sometimes you don't know your pregnant blah blah blah, you know how people talk. Anyways I was about to get over her saying those things when last night I woke up really nauseous and shivering with my heart racing. I know you cannot tell me if I am pregnant or not but I really do t wanna spend even meow money to test again, so I was just wondering if that's what morning sickness is like? Or are not normal pregnancy sickness symptoms? It just seems odd because that's only happened to me before when I was sick. Thank you in advance.
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had two negative pregnancy tests, and you waited long enough after the risk to take them, then you can be sure that you are not pregnant.

There are lots and lots of explanations for why you woke up feeling sick. Maybe you had a bad dream. Or maybe you're at the start of a flu - it is the season for that, after all. But I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that you must be pregnant.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9171 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Teeny56943,

Two months along, it's nearly impossible for a pregnancy test to show up negative, and even more so for two tests to show up negative. Pregnancy tests look for a hormone--HCG---that is only present in a pregnant person.

You also didn't mention whether you've been getting your period. Have you?

It's really not true that a lot of people don't know they're pregnant. If and when this does happen, it's usually because someone is very out of touch with their body, which it definitely sounds like you are not. Even if they, for some reason, don't know they're pregnant, they know that *something* is going on.

Waking up shivering and nautious is something that can and does happen for a lot of reasons. I think you'd find it helpful to read this article. [Smile]

Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both very much I really appreciate your responses. And I didn't want to assume it right away but because it's unusual for my body and is a common pregnancy symptom, it made me nervous but I just didn't know if the nausea presented itself in that manner in pregnancy or if it was attributable to something else. That's good to know that the tests are likely right - I also was just unsure if they would be less accurate without first morning urine. For the second one I waited 2 hours after the last times drank anything to take the test so I figured it was okay. And yes I have gotten my period every month since the risk and it's been a little lifter than usual I'd say but have always been told that unless its drastically different than a normal period then it means I'm not pregnant.
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For pregnancy testing, if you follow the instructions on the test you're taking, you'll be fine. Each test brand has slightly different instructions just based on the way it was designed so it's best to follow those instructions rather than worrying about general guidelines that people often give. For example, first-morning urine isn't always a requirement, so if the test you took didn't require it, then it doesn't matter.

Periods are going to change from time to time (or, for some of us, quite frequently) based on what is going on with our bodies.

And of course if the nausea continues, you'll want to see your health care practitioner, not because it could be pregnancy but because it might be a sign that something else isn't right that you'll want to get taken care of.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Thank you for your reassurance that I am not pregnant - I really do appreciate it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.