Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Oral Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral Sex
justbreathe
Neophyte
Member # 100989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justbreathe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Tonight I was licking my boyfriend's penis.
This is our first relationship. Protection was not used.
Should a condom be used in this case, even in oral sex?

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi justbreathe,

By your first relationship, I think you mean that neither of you has had any sexual contact with any other person prior to getting together.

In this case, there are few STI transmission risks.

This article explains what risks there can be without having had previous sexual contact.
Without sexual contact, could I have an STI?

I don't know how long you've known your boyfriend, and I'm not suggesting that anyone is lying here, but when it comes to STIs it's sound to be cautious. It's a good time for both of you to get tested so you have a benchmark to work with.

Since you are now sexually active, it's a good time for you to start getting your sexual healthcare anyway. If you need help finding a doctor or clinic, we can help you with that.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justbreathe
Neophyte
Member # 100989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justbreathe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Robin that was what I meant.
I'll review that article.

It would be great to getting that care as well.
Again, I'm not really sure where to start so it would be great to get some direction.
I'm from Ontario, Canada. Would testing be covered?
Thanks!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi justbreathe,

I live in Ontario and testing is covered. If you don't have, or aren't comfortable going to your GP or gynaecologist, most walk-in clinics or public health centres do free testing. From my experience, the clinics/centres will usually allot a specific day of the week where STD testing is their focus so you might want to do some research about clinics in your area.

I hope this information is helpful!

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the helpful information, Smarties. Just a reminder that questions in this forum (and Emergencies & Crises) are for staff and volunteer responses only. Input in all other forums is welcomed...and encouraged. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi JustBreathe,

As Smarties said, you can go to your GP or gynecologist, but if you're not comfortable with that, there are clinics where you can get testing done.

If you need any help finding clinics in your area, just let us know, you can either post your postal code here or, if you'd prefer more privacy, send it to robin@scarleteen.com

It's a good idea for your boyfriend to get tested to, so you both have a benchmark to work from. How do you feel about talking to your boyfriend about getting tested?

--------------------
Robin

Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies! I clicked on the topic from the homepage and didn't realize what forum I was in. Thanks for letting me know!
Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justbreathe
Neophyte
Member # 100989

Thanks everyone!
Robin: I've sent you an email.
As for talking about testing (I brought it up last night with regards to our other conversation about next steps (from the thread earlier in the week with the scare). He thinks it would be okay he's just concerned about cost and where to get it done.

justbreathe
Neophyte
Member # 100989

Robin, thanks for the information in the email!
Is there any benefits/ drawbacks to going to your Doctor, a clinic or a gynaecologist? How would someone go about getting a gynaecologist? What do they do as their job as opposed to a Doctor?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

No matter what healthcare provider you see--your general practitioner, gynecologist or providers at a sexual health clinic--you'll get the same basic medical treatment in terms of tests and examinations. Going to a sexual health clinic means that you'll be talking to healthcare professionals who specialize in sexual health care, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the same level of care from a GP or gynecologist.

You can receive gynecological care from a GP, though again, some people prefer or find they need to see a gynecologist because gynecologists specialize specifically in reproductive and sexual health care.

To see a gynecologist you would, based on the requirements of the health system where you live, need to get a referral from your GP.

Here's the lowdown on visiting a gynecologist.

Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Robin

justbreathe
Neophyte
Member # 100989

Thanks so much! [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.