Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Implanon failure rate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Implanon failure rate
sacred_avarice
Neophyte
Member # 35469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sacred_avarice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In February of 2010 I went ahead and had Implanon implanted in my arm as a means of controlling my very heavy, very painful periods. I was not sexually active at the time of implant, had not been for over a year, and continued to remain so until July of this year. I have had the same partner since then, and after trust developed between us, we ditched condoms and have been solely relying on my implant. I am 24 and he is 29, if that helps any.

I've done a bit of research on the implant, and because of a recent turn of events where I no longer have any periods, but am having some symptoms of pregnancy, I wanted to know what the realistic failure rate of the Implanon is. My boyfriend is now skeptical of it, even after a negative pregnancy test, and I would like to have some more information to reassure him that I am unlikely pregnant and unlikely to become so. (Also I am going to retest at the end of this week because I am skeptical that it may have failed.)

Any information would be helpful, it doesn't seem I can find any exact numbers of failure rates on the internet, nor have any empirical articles appeared in the last few years, now that it has been used in the field. I'm kind of at a loss. I appreciate the time you are taking to help, thank you.

--------------------
----------------
Call me monster
Call me witch
But you forget
I have never cared
What you think of me.

Posts: 3 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There sacred_avarice,

This article has the numbers you're looking for:

the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon)

Pregnancy tests are known to be accurate two or more weeks after a suspected risk, or when a period hasn't shown up when expected.

Since you have become sexually active, have you gone to your GP or gynecologist to start your sexual healthcare?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sacred_avarice
Neophyte
Member # 35469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sacred_avarice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I go regularly and get all of my tests, etc. I actually wanted to be a sex therapist, so it's not anything I take lightly.

Thanks for the link. [Smile]

--------------------
----------------
Call me monster
Call me witch
But you forget
I have never cared
What you think of me.

Posts: 3 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

I hope that information is helpful.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.