Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill Question/Confusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill Question/Confusion
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scarleteen,
So I set an alarm to take my bc pill at 10PM every night. Usually, this doesn't happen (taking them exactly at 10), but i HAVE NEVER taken them more than 2 hours apart.

For example, last week I took my pill on Monday at 9:30, Tuesday at 10 and Wednesday at 11:15. I ALWAYS take my pill somewhere between 9:30 and 11:30 (and try to take it as close to 10 as possible).

Anyways, I talked to my pharmasist when I picked up my next set of pills and asked her if it was okay if I took them almost in a range of 2 hours (and saying I haven't missed one yet). She didn't know and asked another guy that said I really need to take them at the exact same time everyday for them to be effective.

I'm confused on what is the right way to take them. I'm not sure if I should continue taking them the way I am (keep my alarm for 10 and take them as close to that time as I can if i can't exactly at that time). Or if I need to make sure i'm more careful and carry them with me at all times so I can take them at 10.

I've read the articles on how you said taking it at 11:07 when your regular time is 10:30 doesn't matter, but this pharmasist is contradicting.

Please let me know what you think!
Thanks!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

As our articles state, all of the inresearch we have indicates that taking them exactly at the same time every day is not necessary. I'm guessing that this pharmacist just said what he thought was correct, rather than just looking it up. Remember, pharmacists know a lot, but that's also because they have access to the latest and most comprehensive resources that give them the information; it's not because they memorize everything and keep it (updated no less) all stored in their brains.

So, of course you need to decide what advice you're going to take, as if you ask many different sources you're going possibly get different answers, but taking the pill at around the same time of day is what we know, based on the vast amount of reading we've done and keeping up-to-date with the latest published data, to be a safe and effective way to take birth control pills.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.