Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy tests
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen.
So my cousin had a posaible pregnancy risk (sex with pill and withdrawal). She has to go back to school next Monday so i told her to come to my house to take a pregnanxy test before she goes back to ease her mind. The only problem is is that it will only be day 13. Is it okay to take a test 13 days after ( i know you guys say 2 weeks)? Could we trust the results taking a test 1 day early?

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So she had a mishap with her pills and is concerned about pregnancy?

Fourteen days is really the soonest that one can expect a test to show accurate results, and ideally one would wait even a few more days after that. Can a result be accurate at 13 days? Who knows? Probably for some people.

If taking a test would ease her mind, then by
all means go ahead. If she's had a risk, she'll want to test again to be sure of the result.

You can of course always show her our articles on pregnancy and pregnancy risk and she's welcome to come to the message boards if she would like.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

We've talked about your articles (especially birth control bingo) a lot, but this is the first time she didnt use a condom (but pulled out). I just really wanted her to be able to take a test before she went back to school with me there because she's absolutely terrified of them. It looks like she's going to have to wait and i can just talk to her on the phone. Thanks for your help!!!
Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Quick question....so what would be the earliest time she could test and be able to trust the results? Earliest would be the best.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she doesn't want to have to buy more than one test, it's ideal for her to wait until she has at least had a late or missed period.

Otherwise, 2 weeks after a risk would be the earliest, but it'd be better to wait until three.

It's just that not everyone's body, when pregnant, develops the hormone tests look for at the same rate. And for plenty of people, two weeks after a risk, when they have just barely conceived, will be too early.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

If she's on the pill, does that mean waiting for a missed withdrawal bleed?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Awesome. Thanks! Also, one more random question. So I'm on a birth control pill that my period didn't come last month....today is my 3rd white pill day and my underwear has a brownish colored discharge, but when I wipe, it's a creamy color and nothing really comes out....do you have any idea of what this could be? Is it the start of my bleed? I've never had light brown discharge before
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very possible that it's the start of your bleed; even if it's new for you, sometimes our flows just vary. We can't tell you for sure though, so if you're concerned, or if it keeps up for a while, you can talk to your doctor or a clinician [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.