Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
Activist
Member # 95903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98217509812347         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm curious about the effectiveness of the pill. Must someone take it every single day and never miss a pill for an entire year for it to be 99% effective?

Or if someone takes the pill correctly for a month straight will the pill be at its 99% effectiveness rate?

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey iced tea, the rate is based on how many women per 100 per year have a pregnancy despite using that form of contraception (and no other contraception). It's specific to the pill and indicates how good it is as a method... so how the 99% would change based on an individuals experience really can't be predicted so precisely.

Missing one pill, depending on when it happens in somebody's cycle, and what type of pill they are taking may effect hormone levels, and so I'm guessing, could effect pregnancy risks, but not beyond that cycle.

In practise it's often best to back up with condoms during the time after the missed pill just to be sure, if they're not already being used as a precaution against STIs.

But as you say if used correctly for a month I'm pretty sure the hormones will be operating at their best.

Also here are some extra reading that might help you:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/missed_pill_and_oral_sex_risks
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/on_the_rag_a_guide_to_menstruation

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 95903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98217509812347         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if each pill is taken correctly during a monthly cycle, then one can assume that the 99% effectiveness rate would be there? Correct?
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 99% figure, as I understand it, comes from laboratory studies. For real-life use, if someone takes their pill on time every day, we would say that the success rate of the pill probably lies somewhere between the typical and perfect use rates. Effectiveness can be boosted by using condoms for genital contact.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.