Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » skipping placebo week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skipping placebo week
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My boyfriend's visit corresponds exactly with my placebo week from my pills (Tri-Sprintec) and, although it's not THAT big a deal, I'd really prefer not to be bleeding while he's here. a) safe and b) effective for me to begin my new pill pack right after my third week of this pack, skipping the withdrawal bleed altogether? Or will this screw anything up? I don't want to make a habit of it; it's just a timing issue this month.

Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is safe -- in that it won't reduce your pill's effectiveness. However, people often find that skipping the placebo week messes up their bleed cycles. Sometimes it makes people spot -- sometimes for the entire cycle -- and sometimes their next withdrawal bleed comes early or late. Some people find that they get bleeding pretty much as heavy as their withdrawal bleed would have been anyway.

But, for sure, some women skip their placebo week and only get light spotting for a few days though, so it's not like it's not possible that it'd work [Wink] It's just that there's really no guarantee that skipping your placebo week will have its intended effect -- it really depends on the person.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi pamplemousse,

Some types of hormonal contraception are better than others for skipping your withdrawal bleed. For example, I know mine aren't potent enough to skip a withdrawal bleed.

Since you're on Tri-Sprintec, which is a triphasic birth control pill, you're likely to get breakthrough bleeding (or at least spotting). This is because there are 3 hormones being administered at different times of your cycle so hormone levels aren't the same throughout the cycle - that is, there's not a hormonal constant which can be maintained just by skipping to the new pack.

There isn't really any research to suggest whether this is a safe practice, but I imagine it's relatively common so apart from the potential for breakthrough bleeding you should be okay. Ultimately though, it's up to you.

Cheers,

Marion

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the responses! That all makes a lot of sense. I found this as well, which seems to echo the same thing. Do any of these methods sound legitimate? I'm particularly interested in the idea of adding an extra hormonal week by taking the third week of another pack before a placebo week.

http://thewelltimedperiod.blogspot.com/2004/07/skip-period-with-triphasic-pills-you.html

Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.