Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!
hopper84
Neophyte
Member # 100937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopper84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,
So i've actaully heard of this website through a friend who thought I should give it a try.

So last weekend I had sex for the first time and i'm a little bit worried. I'm on the birth control pill which I take pretty consistantly (I set an alarm for 10, but usually end up taking it somewhere between 9:30 and 11:30). I haven't missed a pill yet.

But let's say I wasn't on the pill at all. I used a condom and put lube on the outside. It didn't break at all but i am worried if there could have beem small "microscopic holes" in the condom that could have let some precum through. He also peed a few times before (that day) and he pulled out (with the condom on before he ejaculated). While we were actually having sex, i noticed the condom roll down a little bit at the top. I am worried that some semen (or precum) could have squished from the bottom of the condom to the top and when it rolled, it could have gotten into or near my vulva.

Am I wrong about how condoms work or are these questions that put me at a pregnancy risk during this time. My friend said that if the condom doesn't break or rolls completely off, I'm safe from pregnancy.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms don't have "microscopic holes." The idea that they do came from a group of people and an agenda based in made-up stuff meant to scare people. Condoms are designed to protect people against both pregnancy and STIs, and that means they are designed expressly to contain microscopically small cells and pathogens effectively.

Condoms are also designed to contain semen. They can do that even if the condom moves around a bit during sex, as they often will.

However, I also think it doesn't make a lot of sense to talk about a situation that wasn't what really happened. In reality, you WERE using both the pill and a condom, not just a condom (and withdrawal on top of that!). In reality, it sounds like you have been using both those methods correctly, and have no reason to think either of them failed. And in reality, when people use both a hormonal method and a condom, it's basically more likely a car will drive through your bedroom while having sex than it is you'd become pregnant with proper use of both those methods. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopper84
Neophyte
Member # 100937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopper84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help. I was just a little worried, that's all! One quick question, so, if you had sex and the condom didn't break (it was used ike it should with lube) you can guarentee that there won't be a pregnancy, right?

The only reason why they say condoms may not be effective is because of the potential of them breaking, right? But if they don't break, there cannot be a pregnancy?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a condom was used for all genital contact, from start to finish, doesn't slip off, rip or break during use, then yes, we can safely say that for that one time of use, it was effective.

How condoms fail is when they are not used at all (sounds weird, I know, but non-use is always included in the typical use rates of every method), when they aren't used from start to finish, or when they slip off, rip or break.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopper84
Neophyte
Member # 100937

What do you mean by slip off? How far is that?
Heather
Member # 3

I mean off.

As in, the condom was on the penis, and then it was inside the vagina or on the floor.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hopper84
Neophyte
Member # 100937

Thanks! That makes me feel much better.
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.