Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Dealing with breast pain.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dealing with breast pain.
Ailan
Neophyte
Member # 110207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ailan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

For the past three weeks I have been having varying degrees of breast pain/tenderness (mostly when pressed) that has become quite bothersome.

I have been on the POP Micronor since last year and did not have any issues until this April, when I had 2 weeks of intermittent spotting and aforementioned breast pain. My boyfriend and I almost always use condoms in combination with the pill, although one time around the 26th of March we did not; nevertheless I'm pretty sure the possibility of pregnancy has been ruled out as I have taken 3 pregnancy tests (1 on the 18th of April, 1 on 25th of April and finally 1 on 26th of April) that have come back negative. Nevertheless, after taking Micronor I haven't had periods at all so I'm a little wary of the pregnancy test results as my body hasn't given me any sort of confirmation.

I went to the doctor on the 22nd and she said that the Micronor isn't strong enough and changed my prescription to Alesse, which I have transitioned to successfully and have been on since Sunday.

The problem is... my breasts won't stop hurting. The degree of soreness comes and goes but they are pretty consistently lumpy and hard. The doctor seemed unconcerned about this given the negative pregnancy tests and use of the BCP, but I'm wondering if it's normal for them to feel like this for so long; I used to associate this pain with PMS but seeing as I am nowhere near getting a period right now I'm really confused and worried. Any insight you can provide with what's going on with my body right now, I'd be very grateful!

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alian,

Ouch, sorry to hear you're experiencing this tenderness. There are a few common causes (from this article
Abreast: The Basics of Boobies:

Hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle, particularly in the second half of the cycle or just before or with menstruation
• Certain medications (like birth control pills or hormone replacement therapies) or foods (such as caffeine, alcohol, salt or dairy products)
• Stress or general illness
• Fibrocystic breasts (which is really just a variation in the texture of breasts, not anything to worry about, but making some changes to diet or medications may help with discomfort, so gab with your doc about it)
• Breast growth (during puberty, guys may also experience this)
• Bras which are too tight

And, of course, pregnancy (but you've ruled that one out via the tests). Since it sounds like this pain has been going on for a few weeks, I would check back in with your healthcare provider so you can try to rule out some more causes. It may be that this is just a side effect of your pills, but checking in with a doc will help you make sure it's not something else.

[ 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ailan
Neophyte
Member # 110207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ailan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for your quick response! I'll visit my GP as soon as I get home from school [Smile]
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome [Smile]
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.