Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » I would like to be educated please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I would like to be educated please
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I just want to start off by saying that I don't know much about sexual contact and the pregnancy risk it presents.
I would like to be more educated. One question I have is that I have read some things that says outercourse is not 100% risk free from pregnancy. I want to know why is that and what was would be considered a risk from outercourse?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you already started by going through the content we have on this at the site, Guide?

If not, why don't I create a little link list for you?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you please thank you
Posts: 52 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. [Smile] Why don't you start with these:

• Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
• Pregnancy Scared?
• NO Pregnancy Risks

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Thanks!
Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

I read through the articles, and learned a lot, but what would make outercourse risky? Would it be just when penis and vagina directly touch like with no barriers and when semen gets on the vagina?
Heather
Member # 3

Having read the page on what doesn't pose pregnancy risks, and seeing that outercourse was in there, can you tell me where you're getting the idea it DOES pose pregnancy risks?

Mind, when genitals are having direct contact, that's NOT outercourse anymore. Most generally "intercourse" is a term used to describe when people are rubbing their genitals directly together. Outercourse is a term used to describe sexual activities in which there is NOT any of that direct genital-to-genital contact.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Oh ok that clears it up and makes a lot of sense !
Heather
Member # 3

Great! Feeling otherwise clear now, then?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Btw, I don't know what your own sexual history or experiences have been like, but I find it's pretty common for people who haven't experienced intercourse where one set of genitals is inside the other to think that one set of genitals rubbing right on another is radically different. In reality, it often doesn't even feel like THAT huge a difference. Sometimes it may not even feel different at all, which is why you might hear about -- or experience -- times when one or both people don't even realize one set of genitals is inside another, rather than just rubbing directly together.

And in reality, when it comes to things like pregnancy and STIs, it's generally not that different at all: the same risks are posed.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Guide
Activist
Member # 98466

Ok thank you for answering my question, I have learned a lot.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.