Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » best tampons for

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best tampons for
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
very sensitive vaginas prone to yeast infections?

I've found one "natural" brand called Seventh Generation, but they don't come with applicators, which I need to insert.

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Menstrual cups are pretty nice, they might be less likely to upset the balance of your vagina than a tampon (tampons can dry the vagina out sometimes, whereas the cup would just collect your period blood, not soak up moister.) If you like the natural tampons, have you tried inserting them without the applicator? It's not really difficult, you just wash your hands and use your finger like you would an applicator.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel comfortable putting my fingers inside myself though.

Also I have a "small" vagina I guess in the sense that anything larger than the extra slim light tampons is uncomfortable both to insert and to wear. (At the gyno they use a smaller size speculum too). Anyway, would this mean cups are still on option or not? They appear to take up more "space" in the vagina than slim tampons do but I could be mistaken.

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI audreytoo,

If you're not comfortable with putting your fingers in your vagina, a cup may not be the best option for you, as both inserting and removing it requires that to one degree or another.

I do know someone who uses a cup successfully who also needs a smaller speculum when getting a pelvic exam, so that alone isn't an indication that it wouldn't work for you.

IN general from what you're describing though, internal-use menstrual products may not be the best option for you right now.

I'm not sure how you feel about pads. If using disposables it's best to still use the less chemically processed type, and reusable cloth pads are even better in terms of comfort and vaginal health.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.