Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » skipping pills...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skipping pills...
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the other day I dropped my pill, much to my chagrin. Those little suckers are tiny and hard to find, and I couldn't find mine, so I progressed on to the next one.

Just wondering, though, what do I do now? Continue with the whole cycle shifted over one? (It was one of the first week's pills.) Can I take an extra day on the sugar pill week to even it out again so the days synced up to before? Or should I be substituting in one from a new pack and be forever one behind?

Admittedly a small part of the problem is that I'm a little OCD sometimes and I'd been all pleased that I landed a Sunday start when I first began, and now it's off-kilter and I don't like it. :C I like things being orderly. xD

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time you lose a pill like that (or throw up just after taking it, or your pill is otherwise compromised) you need to make it up by taking a replacement one as soon as possible. (It's handy to keep a spare pack around for that reason, if you can.) You do need to make up that lost one, but since it's been a few days, you might want to check in with a pharmacist about the best way to do that.

In terms of maintaining your effectiveness, though, it's important to remember that you can't extend the placebo week and still be fully protected.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I wasn't entirely clear.

It was Wednesday night that I lost my pill, so I went ahead and took Thursday's. I've been taking Friday's pill on Thursday, Sat's pill on Fri, and so on and so forth. Does that not constitute as a replacement?

Also because the amount of hormone is different in the pills and I just started a new week's, it means I'll only have had six of the .18 mg norgestimate instead of seven. Essentially every day I'm taking tomorrow's pill instead of today's. Should this be perpetuated?

That all said, if I decided I wanted to completely skip a day of pills to get the schedule to match up again at the cost of complete protection, when during the month would be least detrimental?

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skipping ANY active pills, at any time, puts the effectiveness of your pill at risk. So, if you're sexually active and are taking the pill to prevent pregnancy, in any cycle where you miss a pill and can't make it up -- where NO pill winds up being missed that's an active, not a placebo, pill -- then for that cycle, ideally, you want to use a backup method.

To my knowledge, while there are times in a pill pack it's worse to take a pill LATE than others, it's equally problematic on any day to miss an active pill entirely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

And if I take eight days for my placebo period instead of seven, that would be effectively missing the first active pill of the new week, I suppose?

I use backup methods anyway and am still paranoid about that anyhow, ha, so. It may be that I'll just skip a day and then be particularly careful or abstain for the next few weeks or something...?

It's not detrimental, protection aside, to skip a dose of hormones like that, is it?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extending the placebo period by a day is essentially missing the last dose of your current pack, or the first day of the new pack, yes. If you're going to do that, or skip a day at some point in this pack, you'll want to use a backup method of protection for the rest of this pack of pills (including the placebo week). Or, obviously, you can avoid the kinds of sex that can result in pregnancy entirely until you're back on track with your pills, whatever you're more comfortable with.

It won't have any impact on your health to skip a pill.

[ 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Excellent, thanks for the help.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.