Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » breakthrough bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breakthrough bleeding
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been having light, brown-colored breakthrough bleeding since Thursday morning. I'm suspecting this has to do with the times I took my pill (Orsythia, my pharmacist switched me from Aviane-28 assuring me it was the same drug).

On Wednesday night, I took it a little early, around 10pm (I usually take it around 11:30), and on Tuesday night, I took it late, around 1:30 am.

I thought there was a window of more than that amount of time - and that as long as you took it at the same time of day (i.e., night) you would be okay?

please let me know. and thank you!!!

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding doesn't mean a pill isn't working, and it's a common side effect with any hormonal method. It's also one that can happen even if someone takes their pill at the EXACT same time every day.

So, this may or may not be related to when you have been taking your pill, but regardless, with a mini-pill, you have a three hour window each day in which to take a pill to keep it effective; with a combined pill, that grace period is 12 hours.

The only thing I'd make sure you're good with, if you are or have been sexually active, especially if you don't use condoms now that you're on the pill, is STIs. If you're not current with STI tests, I'd get current, just to be sure this is breakthrough bleeding and not due to an infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok - it's a combined pill, so I'm safe. Can this happen just because you don't take it within an hour of the exact time? I've known my body to be pretty sensitive...

I'm not sexually active (I'm the one with all the anxiety about non existent pregnancy risks!!) so that shouldn't be an issue.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't for a lot of people, but certainly, I think it's safe to say that some people are going to have bodies which are more sensitive to even minor changes with a medication. Sounds like your experience with your own body even before this is in line with that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

ok, because for the past three cycles, I had no bleeding until the placebo pills. So there is no explanation for why I didn't experience the side effect of breakthrough bleeding on these cycles?

also, Orsythia is technically a new "brand" that I was switched from, from Aviane-28. could that be a possible reason?

Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, the most likely explanation is simply that you are experiencing a very common side effect of hormonal methods.

Just because we haven't had a certain side effect before or yet doesn't mean we won't ever.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

ok that makes sense, I think I just want everything to be predictable haha. thank you as always [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Heh. Alas, that's just never anything we can expect to have when it comes to bodies. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.