Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » yeast infection after sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast infection after sex
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
For the third time in two months, I've developed a yeast infection right after having sex with my female partner. Meaning, the next day. I've tested negative for all other STIs.

Some background info: For me, sex = being penetrated with toys and fingers, plus kissing. I do not touch my gf's genitals and she keeps her clothing on. She has no yeast symptoms so her doctor didn't prescribe her anything. I take my Diflucan as prescribed, which gets rid of the yeast...until we have sex again. We use Astroglide lube, which has never caused me problems in the past.

I'm not sure what to do to prevent this - she washes her hands and the toys (which have only been inside me)...why is this happening? The nurse just said that sexual activity can "disrupt the balance of bacteria" in the vagina, but I don't want to stop having sex with my partner!

Also I eat yogurt frequently and I don't douche. I do wear tights often but they are always made from cotton or wool. I wear cotton underwear during the day and nothing when I sleep at night. It's pretty inconvenient and costly at this point to keep seeing the doctor every time I have sex and get itchy! What are my other options to stop this cycle? It really seems to be triggered by vaginal penetration.

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi audreytoo, sorry to hear about this.

Are you perchance on any antibiotics right now/were you until recently? Sometimes that can mess up the balance for a bit.

Have you spoken with your doctor about this? Or just the nurse you mentioned? If you are experiencing yeast infections on this regular basis, you may want to consult with your doctor specifically about this, in cause he/she wants to do some tests to see if it's related to any other possible health problems.

[ 11-24-2012, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also suggest making sure you talk to your doctor, especially if the infections are not only recurring, but you keep doing the same treatment every time.

It sounds like at the very least, it's time to change up your treatment, but also like you need a doctor to really look more into this to try and figure out the root cause. It may well be that it's entirely coincidental, btw, that these keep happening after sex.

But, just to check, with any of the toys you use, these are toys you can sanitize and always do before and after use, right? And for those you can't boil, toys you're covering with a condom or other barrier? And with manual sex, your partner is either always washing her hands first or wearing gloves?

In the meantime, if those bases are covered, you might also try switching lubes, just in case. Try one that's glycerin-free, and see.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
audreytoo
Activist
Member # 58116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for audreytoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses - Yes these are toys that are sanitized/boiled before and after use. And she washes her hands well each time. Also I am not taking antibiotics.

Can you recommend a glycerin-free lube? Also, what type of tests would the doctor be doing to find the root cause?

Another thing that occurred to me is that my gf sometimes puts her fingers in her mouth and then in me - could her saliva be causing yeast?

Posts: 77 | From: U.S. | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, the root of yeast infections is actually gastorintestinal. In other words, there's an overgrowth of yeast THERE, then that finds its way to your bowel, and then to the vagina.

So, a real examination into recurrent yeast would involve things like looking at your diet, and examining more than just your vagina.

Per the mouth-to-fingers, yes, that could be an issue, particularly if she has any bacterial imbalances in her mouth, which can happen.

But really, before you worry overmuch about your sexual life causing this, if you have healthcare access, I'd advise seeing a doctor to really examine this more thoroughly.

Let me take a peek and see what's on the market right now, per lubes. I'll ping you back shortly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Here's a little list of some glycerin-free lubes to look for, to get you started:

- Blossom Organics
- Slippery Stuff Glycerin-Free
- Astroglide's Glycerin-Free formula (called Astroglide Natural)
- Babeland's own brand lubricant
- Any lube made by Good Clean Love (they're also vegan, if that's something that makes you happy)
- Any of the Sliquids natural range
- Hathor Lubricant (Pure)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.