Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Switching Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switching Pills
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Stress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm switching pills, from Yasminelle to a new pill on the market called Zoely. I have my new prescription but haven't bought Zoely yet as I still have 2 days left of Yasminelle before my 7 day gap week.

Last time I switched pills I didn't take my gap week and ended up having spotting for 3 weeks so ideally I'd love to take my 7 day gap week this time. Can I do this? The pharmacist has said to me in the past when I switched pills that I should go straight on to the next pack without taking my gap week. What should I do? Any advice would be great!

PS: I would rather take my gap week because I feel the break from hormones makes me feel better, plus it's extra reassurance that I'm not pregnant.

--------------------
Dee x

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's totally fine to take the 7 day gap, just be sure to use barriers (like condoms) as back up for the first new cycle of Zoely (first 3 weeks) to be very safe.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss_Stress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just ask as well, the gap week for Zoely is 4 days, so should my break this time be 4 days or 7 days? Silly question I know!

--------------------
Dee x

Posts: 34 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a silly question. [Smile] It's actually up to you, since you're switching and planning to use back-up for the first cycle. You can ride out the 7 days from the old pack (this is totally fine) or if you'd rather start a little earlier (or if you wanted to start on a certain day), you could just do the 4.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Okay thank you! I'm on antibiotics right now for an ear infection for 7 days so another reason why I don't want to skip my gap week. My body is just pumped up on medication if you get me, so it'd be nice to take a week off from my pill rather than go straight into a new month so my body can chill for a bit!

--------------------
Dee x

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Sounds like you have a great plan. [Smile]

--------------------

Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Hi again! Just wanted to ask something else related to this topic instead of starting a new thread.

I'm now on day 4 of my pill free week before I switch pills and I'm still waiting for my withdrawal bleed. For the past few months it's been arriving on day 2 of my week off. Could the antibiotics be causing a delay?

For the past 3 months I've been using condoms with my pill consistently and I've never missed a pill or taken one late in my life. I've also had 3 withdrawal bleeds since I started this technique as opposed to using the pill as my only protection, so pregnancy really isn't likely. I also haven't had sex since going on my antibiotics.

Can antibiotics cause a slight delay? I was on amoxicillin 3 times a day for 7 says for a severe inner ear infection. My last antibiotic was taken yesterday. I've read your article about periods being MIA, but it doesn't list much for late periods on the pill.

PS: I know I shouldn't worry about 2 days of a difference really, but deviations like this can be pretty frightening for me. [Frown]

I've been having cramps for the past 24 hours but they seem to be bowel related as opposed to period related.

[ 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Miss_Stress ]

--------------------
Dee x

Miss_Stress
Neophyte
Member # 97268

Ignore my last question, looks like my withdrawal bleed has started! Very light so far because it's only just begun, but it's there. [Smile]

My cramps must have been period related after all. Thanks again for your advice. xxx

--------------------
Dee x

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear your withdrawal bleed arrived and you've stopped worrying. [Smile]

For the future: illness, such as an ear infection, can put your body under a lot of stress, which can delay a period. But also, even on the pill, bleeds can be a couple days early or late from time to time. That's perfectly normal.

[ 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.