Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Does this sound like an STD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this sound like an STD?
eroyltn009
Neophyte
Member # 100537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eroyltn009     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so I have a lot of redness and soreness one the outside of one side of my vagina. There isn't any weird discharge or smell and it's only limited to this one area. A couple days ago before it was like this, I noticed like two, tiny painless and colorless bumps near this area and went and got tested at a free clinic. I had to point them out to the doctor and she didn't seem worried or concerned at all- said they *could* be molluscum but if it is then it'll just go away by itself. The last time I had sex was 5 months ago so she said that herpes and warts would have shown up by now and people usually will *know* if it's something like that because the outbreak is pretty bad. My results for gonorrhea and chlamydia aren't in yet but I don't think it's either because I haven't had any discharge and I used a condom.
LIke I said, it's just one area that's really sore and irritated and red looking and the two bumps near the bottom of it are still very tiny and not spreading. Does this sound like it could be an STD or more like a bacterial infection or something? What should I do?

Posts: 7 | From: LA | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

Without examining you (and without being doctors, which we're not)its pretty tough to say what this sounds like. Remember though that the skin on and around the vulva is skin like any other skin on the body, so can be prone to infection of any kind, or even just irritation.

Just to expand on what the doctor told you: Someone who contracts the Herpes virus (HSV) or the HPV (the virus that can, depending on the strain, manifest in genital warts) may not always experience symptoms right away, or even after a certain period of time. Many people can be asymptomatic for a long period of time.

I'm not saying that you have either of these viruses, just giving you more information.

As to what you're experiencing right now, if it's still sore in a few days, it would be worth it to head back to the clinic to have the area reexamined. Otherwise, there's no reason to think this won't go away on its own.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.