Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How did I get gonorrhea? Please advise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did I get gonorrhea? Please advise
thanksforhelping
Neophyte
Member # 97571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thanksforhelping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear all,

I'll try to put everything in a time-line to make it clear.
Additional information are that I am a male, and there were 3 persons involved.

The question is, how did I get gonorrhea?
(I was tested positive for this [Did a full check up already on others] and already diagnosed.)

2011 October (the only unprotected sex I have had ever in my life and was an accident) [Person A]

2011 December (the unprotected handjob only, and nothing else) [Person B] [Don't know personal history but is not a sex worker]

2011 December, 2012 June (3 times protected sex, and no oral received. I only gave oral [clitoris] to
her only) [Person C] [Pretty sure she has no STDs]

So the reason why I got tested 2 weeks ago is because [Person A] told me 3 weeks ago she thinks she has STD because she had pain when urinating and saw some discharge (after so many months). If this was the case, I can acknowledge I have gotten gonorrhea from her during the only unprotected sex scenario back in October 2011.

However, it turned out that her full check up last week came back everything negative and apparently her urination pain and discharge was not STD but bacteria related.

From the scenarios above, I can only think of my gonorrhea was false-positive, or [Person A's] result was false-negative.

After having the only unprotected sex with Person A (As mentioned in the time line almost a year ago, I really haven't even noticed having noticeable pain urinating. Only sometimes after masturbation I have had slight discomfort in the groin area but after a while would go away which I never thought of even having STDs.)

As for [Person B], I cannot think of receiving gonorrhea from a hand-job.
[Person C], since it was entirely a protected vaginal intercourse only, I cannot think of receiving anything even if she really had gonorrhea.

To be honest, if I have never heard from Person A about her symptoms (and this was almost many months later), I may have never went for a check up.

Any advise?

[ 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: thanksforhelping ]

Posts: 4 | From: China | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's start by making sure you understand that while using condoms for all genital contact provides excellent protection against gonorrhea, it doesn't provide 100% protection.

So. Not only could you have acquired the infection anytime you had any kind of sexual contact with someone WITHOUT a condom (and with this STI, we're talking about oral sex or intercourse, not manual sex), you also could have acquired it from activity where a condom was used, that's just much less likely.

As well, most of the time with most STIs, including this one, people don't experience noticeable symptoms, especially if an infection doesn't spread or get worse. That's one big reason why regular testing is so important.

I agree with you, the A scenario sounds the most likely here.

But really, what's most important is that you got tested and you've been treated. Once you have, the infection should go away, and you can prevent it best in the future by always using safer sex. I do also think it would be a good idea to let your last sexual partner know about this, though, in case she doesn't get regularly tested.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67077 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thanksforhelping
Neophyte
Member # 97571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thanksforhelping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your reply Heather.

What bothers me is that how would it be possible that person A got tested but received clear for STDs.

Hopefully just in case I'm trying to get the last person I have had sex (person C) tested, but this was already 2 months ago though. By now I would supposed if person C have gonorrhea she would notice? Again, this was only 3 times vaginal intercourse only with protected sex.

Posts: 4 | From: China | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI thanksforhelping,

NO, Person C wouldn't necessarily notice if she had gonorrhea or any other sexually transmitted infection. Many people dont experience symptoms of any STI for a long time after contracting it. It's possible that you did contract gonorrhea from person C. As Heather said, condoms reduce transmission risks greatly, but don't entirely eliminate those risks.

I know it's baffling for you.

What's important though is that you have been treated and that you continue to practice safer sex to reduce risks for yourself and for future partners.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thanksforhelping
Neophyte
Member # 97571

Hello again,

I just wanted to get a final advise on whether or not a another check up is required?

Note that after a month have passed after I got diagnosed already.

Thanks

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a good idea to go back to the doctor and get a check-up once you've finished up your round of medication, just to make sure it's all cleared up and you don't need another round.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thanksforhelping
Neophyte
Member # 97571

Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.