Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Worried About Withdrawal Bleed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried About Withdrawal Bleed
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm so sorry to post another topic about my bleed, but I'm a bit worried about it. It started on Monday (when Tuesday or Thursday would be a usual start date); and I just had some brown-red spotting then. Today, I'm bleeding a bit more; but it's mostly brown-red blood with some red spotting. I know bleeds and periods can vary in colour, and that brown blood is old blood; but this still has me worried. My last bleed ended a little early last month, so maybe this old blood is just leftover from that, but I'm not sure if that's possible. I was just recently tested for STI's (not a full scan, but did get tested for infections that I know cause brown blood and spotting, like gonorrhea and chlamydia) and my results were negative. I know my bleed did just start, so maybe I should be a bit more patient with things; but I'm still nervous about this. I haven't had any kind of sexual contact sinc September 1st. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi copper. I think it really is too early on to know if this is an irregular bleed for you or not. And, as you said, slight variations in the duration/colour/flow of periods and withdrawal bleeds are totally normal. So right now it doesn't sound like anything to worry about, as your bleed has only just started.

I think you also know that if it DOES turn out to be an irregular bleed for you, your best bet and first step would be to talk to your doctor since you've ruled out both STIs and pregnancy as possibilities here.

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Onionpie!

Thank you for your response! The end of my bleed from last month (which started late and ended early) looked brown-red like this, so I'm wondering if this is really just leftover blood. The colour now seems to be mostly red-brown but some red spotting and before I had dark red blood oor bloody discharge.

I might call my pharmacist if this doesn't change; but you're right that it's still too early for me to know anything right now. I only spotted off and on yesterday, so I haven't even had a full day of bleeding yet. Other than last month's bleed being shorter than usual, my last two periods since the manual sex incident on September 1st have been normal. Is it normal, though, to have an irregular bleed every once in a while without there being something wrong?

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Copper,

Yes, it's absolutely normal. If it helps to have a personal perspective: I've been getting my period now for 20 years and I'd say my bleeding pattern varies, if not every month, then at least several times a year.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you, Robin! I really appreciate a personal perspective. I changed my tampon earlier this morning and my flow was still light but the colour looked more on the redder side than it had been before (of course, now it's getting hard to tell red from brown!). I've only been bleeding for less than two days, so I guess I should give it more time.

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and really, you know, the colour of one's bleed really isn't an indication that anything is amiss.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much, Robin! I really appreciate your response! I ended up having a normal bleed after about 2 days or so; and that bleed ended up just being a little longer (perhaps because I was getting rid of old blood earlier).

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome. Sounds like you're feeling better about that.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.