Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » UTI/Weird Discharge/First Gynecology Visit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI/Weird Discharge/First Gynecology Visit
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,

Just for a little background, I'm a sexually active 22 year old woman.

I've recently been a worried about my reproductive health. I've been getting frequent UTI's for the past year (about 3 times or so). Because they're so frequent, I'm wondering if perhaps they never go away to begin with, but are temporarily controlled by the antibiotics I've been prescribed. Also, my urine always looks a little cloudy. Is there a "normal" level of cloudiness? I got tested last spring by a doctor at my university and she said my urine looked clear, when I thought it looked bad. However, she was a notoriously bad doctor, so I'm not sure that I buy it.

My most recent UTI was this October, and I saw a doctor who told me to get a follow-up done, which I didn't, because I just got health insurance this week. The whole visit and antibiotics, without insurance, were about $175, so I decided to wait until my insurance kicked in.

I've also been experiencing a lot of back pain. This isn't out of the ordinary for me, because, I think, I'm not a very active person (although I'm not overweight), and I've had back pain for as long as I can remember. However, it's gotten worse lately, and I can't tell if it's due to the inactivity or something else (since it's all in my lower back). It usually gets worse as the day progresses, and by the evening my whole lower back and down part of my legs hurt. Another reason I'm not sure it's a sexual health related thing is stretching usually relieves it for a while, so I could just be tense, I guess.

Also, about two days ago, I had intercourse and my discharge was light yellow. Since then, I've been getting light yellow/brown spots in my underwear (although about half the time it's a normal white color). It's not a larger amount than usual, and it doesn't have any smell, or any weird texture. It's just weird because I'm about halfway between periods, so I shouldn't be bleeding (if that's even what it is).

In addition, I've been getting random cramps around my uterus area. Also, sometimes I feel an unpleasant, almost burning sensation around the front of my hip joints. I'd describe this pain as mild and usually ignorable. Not that it SHOULD be ignored, but it's not sending me into the fetal position.

So, I finally have my first gynecology appointment scheduled for December 5th. My main question is, should I just wait a couple more weeks until I see the gynecologist?, or is this something I should try to get looked at sooner (if that's even possible)? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so I think the stress and worrying is worse than the other symptoms I'm experiencing. I really should have gotten it two years ago (when I first started having sex) but I was still relying on my parents (since I was in school), and since my mom is super Catholic and against sex before marriage, it was a tough subject to broach.

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH, just a couple other things I forgot to mention:

I've only had sex with one guy (and I do mean intercourse AND oral sex, etc.). I've been in a relationship with him for two years, and during that time, he's been tested twice for STD's and they've always come up negative. I've also been tested for gonorrhea and syphilis just in case, but those also came up negative.

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Actually, that was chlamydia, not syphilis. My bad.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OliveKitten,

When you say that the doctor who treated you last Spring said your urine looked clear, are you also saying the results from the actual test were negative? When urine tests are taken, they're not just examined visually.

Since the doctor you saw in October told you you should get a follow-up, it's likely a good idea to see if you can see a doctor sooner rather than later, particularly if you're still having symptoms. Are you having any pain or burning with urination?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

I'm honestly not sure what she did. She left for about 1-5 minutes, came back and said it "looked normal." I'm not sure what that means.

My gyno visit is in about 3 weeks, and I'm not sure I could get anything sooner. She also has a good reputation (and I got the referral from another good doctor), so I'm hesitant to book anyone else. I also have an appointment scheduled with a general practitioner the same week, so it seems like getting an appointment in 3 weeks is the norm.

No pain or blood or anything with urination lately (or since I finished the antibiotics). I have occasionally felt like I had to go when I didn't, but it was usually after long periods of holding it (like in the morning).

OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

Actually, I think her exact words were "it looks clear." It could mean either thing, I guess.
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

In addition, I've been feeling a little nauseous, especially in the morning, and have little to no appetite most of the day. I'm still getting the yellow-ish discharge, too :/
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like you might want to get that checked out sooner than 3 weeks from now. Untreated UTIs can be pretty serious, and tend to get worse rather than fixing themselves.

It sounds like your body is trying to tell you something with the nausea and lack of appetite.

Can you get in to see a doctor sooner than your december appointment?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveKitten
Neophyte
Member # 96465

I called their office yesterday and asked if they could move my appointment sooner. They said they didn't have any openings, but they would call me if anything came up.

I'm thinking about trying the NYU clinic, which is open on Saturdays. I'm not sure who to go to for a quick appointment, other than the emergency room.

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OliveKitten,
The NYU clinic sounds like a good call! You could always call there ahead of time, to ask their receptionist that what you want is available- and will be when you arrive? For future ref, the ER most definitely be NOT be any kind of experience you could ever term "quick."

Also, though, did you let your office know that you wanted to move your appointment sooner because you have what could be a pressing medical issue? Or could it have seemed merely like you were more casually interested in a change? For situations like this one, sometimes offices will try extra hard to move appointments around to help you out- or, if they absolutely can't find room, you could ask for a referral to a doctor in the same/a nearby clinic/hospital.

[ 11-16-2012, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.