Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Really worried about first time sex, should I wait until not really worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really worried about first time sex, should I wait until not really worried?
santi234
Neophyte
Member # 99608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santi234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm male 20 and been in relationship for over a year.

I'm really worried about having sex for the first time. I want to have sex but I'm feeling really worried.

Shall I just do it anyway?

OR

Should I wait until a time that I'm not feeling so worried?

ANSWER THIS:

I want to have sex, I feel I'm ready but sometimes I'm really worried about it. So now that I know I'm ready, do I have sex even if worried? Or wait until I'm ready and not really worried?

I'm thinking I should wait until NOT really worried?

--------------------
Hello

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi santi234 and welcome to Scarleteen,

By sex, I think you mean intercourse, which is one kind of sex out of many. Have you and your partner engaged in other sexual activities with each other? Have you and your partner been able to discuss your worries about engaging in intercourse for the first time?

When you say you're ready, what do you mean by that? That is, what else indicates to you that you're ready besides not worrying?

WE often say here that any sexual activity should feel good before, during and after it happens. Feeling good before the sexual activity includes feeling comfortable with the idea of happening--that is, not worried or anxious about it.

We have a readiness checklist that people can go through to figure some of these things out, and I'll link to it below. I'd also encourage you to share how you're feeling with your partner, so the two of you can support each other.

Here's that checklist:

Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

What do you think based on what I've said here, and on this checklist?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santi234
Neophyte
Member # 99608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santi234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to have sex and we have spoke about it.

I just don't know weather to bite the bullet and do it no matter how worried or wait until I am feeling less worried.

--------------------
Hello

Posts: 4 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want to talk about what it is you are worried about?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to add that 'biting the bullet' with sex that we don't really feel ready for is usually something very damaging to us emotionally.

Sparing people trying to reproduce (and even then, there's often the element of fun) or survive, sex is largely done for fun; to relax, for comfort, etc. If we're worried, we can't relax properly, which often means we can't become fully aroused (or aroused at all) which can lead to uncomfortable, sometimes painful sex that also makes us wind up feeling terrible emotionally.

So, my best advice to you would be to take sex completely off the table for now, until it's something you feel 100% ready for.

[ 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.