Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Three weeks late on period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Three weeks late on period
TravelAddict63
Neophyte
Member # 97615

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TravelAddict63     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I posted on here a few weeks ago because I believed I was pregnant (due to symptoms and a positive urine test) and did not know how to handle the situation.

Well, since that time I ended up seeing a gynecologist. He gave me a pregnancy blood test that came back negative. He also did a transabdominal ultrasound, and said he didn't see anything and not to worry, I wasn't pregnant after all. (It has been 8 weeks since I last had sex, so if I were pregnant, I would have been 8 weeks along during the ultrasound). So I assumed that the urine test was a false positive and was relieved.

But now I'm three weeks late on my period, even though in the past I have been quite regular. I've had constant white discharge and burning/stretching pains in my abdomen. I really don't think I could be pregnant if the gynecologist didn't see anything on the ultrasound and if the blood test was negative.
Do you know why I would be so late and be having these weird pains?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you first called back that GYN to ask about this?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TravelAddict63
Neophyte
Member # 97615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TravelAddict63     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I haven't. I don't know if I can afford another doctor's visit so I'd prefer not to have to go back unless I have to.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the symptoms you're reporting here and still not having had your period, I'd advise that. If you'd like us to help you see if there are any no-cost or low-cost GYN services in your area so you can do that. we'd be glad to help.

My personal concern here, especially if unprotected sex did recently occur, is either a pregnancy that wasn't detected on the ultrasound, is ectopic, or an infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.