Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can medicines effect your period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can medicines effect your period?
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I have a condition called hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating problem). It's so bad I had to be put on a medication that does something to my glands, so I sweat less. I also have to drink a lot because of dry mouth (side effect, of course) and it dries up my sinuses. I used to take it only when it was hot, but I've started taking it every day now. My last two periods (I'm on mine now) have been less blood... Like last night it wasn't necessarily clots, it was just more clumpy than my usual which is AWFUL, an overnight pad usually isn't enough. I was just curious if this medicine could cause a change you think?

It's called Robinul btw.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There maria0104,

The best person to talk to about this is the doctor who prescribes your medication or a pharmacist.

A quick Google search didn't yield any study linking this drug to changes in menstruation.

Menstrual flow can change for all sorts of reasons. It rarely remains the same throughout a person's entire life. And, just so you know, those clots aren't blood clots, they're clots of tissue from the uterine lining.

So, this change isn't anything to worry about, and if you are curious, you can talk to a doctor or pharmacist and see if they think there might be a link.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m_azul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty [Smile] I appreciate it!
Posts: 281 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Okay one last question... So sorry, but I just don't have anyone to ask about this and yahoo answers is definitely not the place lol

Can a normal period consist of clear discharge with stringy like blood? Not spotting exactly, heavier than that. And then ending with just clear discharge?

Thanks

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry if I have asked you this already and forgotten, Maria, but have you already started getting OB/GYN healthcare, including annual exams where you can ask about these kinds of issues from your own healthcare provider, who can put your whole health -- including things like health conditions and medications you use -- in context with your reproductive health for you?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

A period is the shedding of the uterine lining, and sometimes that lining will be different than other times. There's nothing concerning about this variability., it just has to do with fluctuations in hormones during that cycle, which canb be related to all sorts of things including stress, diet changes, etc.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Yes it does [Smile] thank ya! I was just wondering if you saw anything out of the ordinary.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

--------------------
Robin

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

Heather I'm so so sorry that I didn't see your reply!!! I've actually talked to my mom and I'm going to the OB/GYN soon. Again, sorry for not seeing your message since I've been on a phone.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, Maria.

I'm just feeling like for you, a good relationship with a good sexual healthcare provider could make all the difference. have you met this GYN before? Do you feel able to talk with them the way you've been taking with us?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

No I haven't met them, but I will be as honest with them as I have you all. It'll just be more in a shy way since its face to face lol
Heather
Member # 3

And that's okay: a new relationship with a healthcare provider is just like any other kind of new relationship. We tend to need time to build trust and a rapport.

But I'm hoping this is someone you like and can start that process with, because I really, really think this will benefit you a lot, and may be the missing piece for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

m_azul
Activist
Member # 97546

I think so, too. Until I've been able to go though, I appreciate the support from you all. But yeah when I go I get birth control pills and all that fun stuff!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.