Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Still A Little Scared...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still A Little Scared...
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana109         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, me again...

Well basically I had sex for the first time 14 days ago. I've been very dedicated to taking the Pill exactly on time every day, and one day I didn't but only took it half an hour later than usual. I've been a little scared, but I have managed to take my anxiety under control and decided not to worry about a situation until one exists.

I recently started the pill, and I'm still on my first cycle- I will be taking my last active pill today and then will be going on the seven day break.

Things have been weird with my body lately. I have had quite a large increase in appetite, although I think it's me mostly emotional eating. But I have been suffering from lower back pain for the past few days. Also, I woke up this morning and my breasts were quite tender to the touch- also I don't know if this is a symptom of pregnancy, a side-effect of the Pill, or if it's just my boyfriend playing around with them too hard. I have also been getting quite bad headaches. Is this a sign of pregnancy or is it the hormones in the Pill?

I also took a pregnancy test two days ago, which came out negative. I took another one today, which came out negative. I'm planning to take one more in about two or three days to double check.

I started taking the active pills 21 days ago on the day my period started, so this cycle should be a lot shorter than most. I was wondering, since this cycle is about a week shorter than usual for me due to the fact that I started the Pill this cycle, does this essentially mean that I am testing too early? We did have intercourse 14 days ago though. I think I'm over-analyzing things, but oh well.

One last thing, I've been told by quite a few friends that when on the first cycle of Pills its normal to miss a period, also the same for having sex the first time- you miss a period because your body is some small state of shock or something. Should I panic if my first withdrawal bleed does not come this week?

I know it's a lot to ask, so thank you to anyone who answers this!

--------------------
Please help.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ana,
First of all, I'm wondering whether you used an additional method of protection, like condoms? And how that plays into this scenario- like if you did not, why not, considering a pregnancy fear is evident in your previous questions.

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire P.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waiting a full cycle of pills before having sex without an additional back-up method is usually the best and safest way to go. However, it IS true that many women are covered by the pill after the first seven days- although that is in no way something we recommend betting on.

Here’s the thing about pregnancy tests: the reason you hear people worrying over their periods being delayed is that you can’t take a test and get your answer right away after sex. In fact, you can’t use a pregnancy test (reliably) until at LEAST 10 days (to two weeks) after the sex in question OR until the time for your next expected period rolls around- whichever time arrives first.

So right now, it sounds like you have not yet started the time when you should be getting your withdrawal bleed, correct? There is no way you could be experiencing pregnancy symptoms at this time. Headaches and tender breasts are common signs that a period is approaching- you could also be experiencing these things as a result of stress.

If you took the first of the two pregnancy tests at least 10 days after you had sex- and they both came out negative, I do not think it is necessary to take another one at this time.

Adjusting to birth control can potentially change up your cycle a bit- some women experience a few shorter or lighter periods, and it is not unusual for some to have an experience with no bleeding (at which point, she should refer to instructions on pill packaging for a missed period, as/if relevant). In your current case, I do not think you need to worry about the above, because you have taken at least one pregnancy test with a negative result more than 10 days after having sex.

I'm interested to hear how your friends explain the idea of missing a period after first intercourse "because your body is in some small state of shock." Due to what, exactly? (To be clear, that is not a thing.)

[ 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Claire P. ]

Posts: 170 | From: Northeast USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana109         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have heard that is correct. That is why I was so insistent on my boyfriend using a condom- because I was not sure when the Pill's effect would start to kick in.

I waited until 14 days after to take the test, which was today, and the test turned out negative- also my placebo pills start tomorrow which means that I should start to get my withdrawal bleed anywhere from tomorrow to Tuesday.

I am also planning on taking another pregnancy test, I have one which I purchased today waiting in my cupboard specifically for that purpose, on Sunday or Monday.

I was also thinking that it would be unrealistic to think I am experiencing pregnancy symptoms, thinking that if I was experiencing them then I would get a positive result.

Do you think I have tested too early? I have waited 14 days until after I had intercourse to test. But do you still think it's too early?

And how much of a risk do you think I have if I had intercourse on day 8 of my cycle, was on the Pill, and we also used a condom?

--------------------
Please help.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Did your boyfriend put the condom on before entering you? Did the condom break?

If he did, and the condom did not break, I am wondering why you think you are at risk for pregnancy.

ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Yes he did, well technically I put it on because I wanted to make sure it was on correctly. And no, it did not break or slip off.

I read one of your articles saying that a combination method of both the Pill and a condom is over 99.99% effective.

So I'm good?

--------------------
Please help.

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Yes. You were protected- plus you have two negative pregnancy tests that double-AND-triple-check you!

Although, in the future, if you are continuing to take the pill and double-up with condom protection, I suggest you don't bother with the pregnancy tests unless there is a actual reason for pregnancy risk.

[Smile]

ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Thank you Claire. I appreciate it.

It's just that it was the first time I've ever had intercourse- so it was new for me. I basically bought the pregnancy tests to give me some peace of mind.

And that if my withdrawal bleed does not come I can rule out pregnancy.

--------------------
Please help.

Claire P.
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 96773

Sure thing!

I totally get the peace of mind thing- but do know that logically-speaking, you could rule out pregnancy regardless of any other possible effects of adjusting to the pill- just due to your methods of protection.

Glad to help.

ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

One last thing. I've heard it's quite normal to suffer from sore breasts when you start using birth control pills? Is this normal? I'm just wondering because this is new to me as I have never been quite a sufferer of tender breasts.

--------------------
Please help.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breast soreness is often a result of hormonal changes. So yes, some people do experience sore breasts when taking hormonal birth control. This is not unusual at all.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.