Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is this a hormone thing (male)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a hormone thing (male)
Wolverine22
Activist
Member # 95968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it, and it's starting to concern me. I'm 17 and all of a sudden I'm hornier than I've ever been, like masturbating 3-4 times a day (a new personal record), I've had to shave more often than I ever had, and all of a sudden, I'm so tired every night but I can't sleep. When I do sleep, I keep having these blatantly sexual dreams even though I've never had a wet dream before. What is going on with me?
Posts: 40 | From: I've lived all over the USA, but I hold true to my Michigan roots | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wolverine22,

While many people think that puberty is a pretty short process, it actually is pretty lengthy, lasting, for some people, into their late teens. I suspect this is what is going on with you.

Take a look at this article for more on puberty:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/not_everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_puberty_but_pretty_darn_close

It sounds like it's uncomfortable and annoying for you, but I assure you that there's nothing wrong with you, and this intensity will pass in time (though the needing to shave frequently likely will not).

Does this help at all?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolverine22
Activist
Member # 95968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it helps, but I thought I was done with puberty a long time ago. I haven't grown an inch in 4 years. I grew so fast as a child that they thought I'd be 6'8. I'm 5'11. When I first started puberty (about 11), I couldn't stop thinking about sex, but at about 13 I could finally, and that has stayed constant until now, and WHAM, there's my libido again, and I'm like [Eek!] . I have a beard, and I'm hairy all over. You see what I'm getting at? I thought I was almost done with puberty and now I feel like I've gone back in time 5 or 6 years.
Posts: 40 | From: I've lived all over the USA, but I hold true to my Michigan roots | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Robin said, puberty is a long process, and can last into the late teens (and sometimes even the early twenties). It also isn't change that happens at a constant rate, so going through periods where your body seems to change very quickly for awhile as well as periods where not much happens is fairly typical.

If you're concerned, you could always ask a healthcare provider, but it doesn't sound like you're describing anything that's a health problem.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.