Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cervical caner/HPV vaccination

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cervical caner/HPV vaccination
tennislover
Neophyte
Member # 37696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tennislover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading about cervical cancer vaccinations (HPV vaccination) and they said that the vaccine works best for females that are not sexually active, but can still work if you dont have all of the 4 HPVs that causes 70% of cervical cancer.

I've had oral sex ("blowjob") with my boyfriend and I was wondering if this counts as being sexually active. We're both virgins and have only been exposed to each other (we're each other's first girlfriend/boyfriend) and I'm also wondering if I could have gotten HPVs or any STIs? It's been nearly a year now and there aren't any symptoms of anything...

Posts: 5 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this counts as being sexually active. It is possible to contract/transfer STD's without inercourse, or even without having had a sexual partner, but the risk is significantly decreased. It never hurts to make sure and get STD screenings for both you and your partner, though.

I think you may have misread a little. What you probably read was that the Gardasil vaccine is best administered before becoming sexually active. It is still very effective for those who ARE sexually active, as long as they do not have HPV of any type. It is not going to be very effective is administered to someone who IS already infected.

So, by all means, we recommend Gardasil if it's something you're willing to do.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tennislover
Neophyte
Member # 37696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tennislover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply.

Could you please also tell me what an STD screening involves?

Posts: 5 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some handy articles that should answer your questions:

Testing, Testing...
Your First Gynecologist Visit

Let us know if you have any more questions after reading the articles.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teenytiny
Neophyte
Member # 92270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teenytiny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get the gardasil vaccine without knowing whether you're infected with any of the four strains of HPV it contains, will it be harmful to you if you are actually infected with one of them?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI teenytiny and welcome to Scarleteen,

The vaccine is ideally recommended for people who have not yet engaged in sexual activity so would not have been exposed to any of the HPV strains the vaccine provides protection against. However, I don't know of any evidence that shows that the vaccine is dangerous if one is already carrying an strain of the virus. This would be a good question to ask your health care provider.

For future reference, we do ask that people create their own thread for posting a question rather than posting in old threads. You can create your own thread by clicking on the "post new topic" link on at the top of any page on the forum. Thanks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.