Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Pill and First Timers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill and First Timers
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ana109         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

So I have two questions. First of all, I had sex for the first time this past weekend. Me and my boyfriend used a condom and I have been on the Pill for about a week now. I want to know if basically this constitutes for any pregnancy risk due to the fact that I only started the pill (the beige hormonal tablets) a week ago.

Also, ever since this first time I bled quite a bit and two days later I get the occasional spotting. I'm assuming this is because it was my first time, and it really hurt (felt like he was tearing muscles down there lol) but I just want to make sure.

Thank you for your time!

--------------------
Please help.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most brands of the pill are effective after the first week of taking them, provided you have been taking the pill correctly.

At Scarleteen, we recommend backing up with a condom for the entire first month to be on the safe side. Since you did use a condom, and assuming it did not break or slip off, you do not have to worry about a pregnancy risk.

Intercourse can sometimes cause pain and spotting, though this has nothing to do with it being the first time. Anytime you are not aroused or relaxed enough, not using enough lube, or your partner is not being gentle enough, you may experience some pain and spotting.

To avoid that next time, make sure you are aroused, use plenty of lube and take it slow.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana109         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking the pill at the same time every day. And I don't plan on having intercourse again for a while- and when I do I will always make sure he has a condom. The condom did not break or slip off, I know it fit properly as I put it on myself.

I am not too worried, but the only thing that was bugging me is the fact that I only started the pill a week ago. I am using Minerva 35 which is supposedly one of the strongest brands to use.

--------------------
Please help.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ana109         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done some research and it says if you start taking the pill within the first five days of the menstrual cycle then it is effective immediately. Do they mean start taking the beige pills or just starting in the silver section according to the day that your period started? For example: my period started on the Friday, I took one white pill because it was the only Friday one in the Silver Starter Section, and then the next Saturday began with the beige pills.

--------------------
Please help.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They mean whatever pills you start your pack with (the color of pills varies all over the place with so many brands out there). In other words, whatever pills start with day one marked in your pack.

But it sounds like you started your pill somewhere in the middle of the pack?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67926 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Ana109,

Just to clear this up, all birth control pill brands are effective contraceptives. There are no "strong" brands or "weak" brands. Different brands have different levels of hormones in them, but these differences do not impact the effectiveness of the pill as a contraceptive.

Continuing to use condoms when engaging in sexual intercourse will not only provide you with an added birth control method, but will also reduce risk of STI (sexually transmitted infection) transmission. Have you and your partner each been tested for STIs?

Not being familiar with your particular pill brand I really can't tell you what the packaging means since I don't know what the different colour pills do. Your pharmacist could explain that to you.

As Joey said, the pill is often considered to start working fully after being taken for a week. Since you used a condom effectively, though, you did have as much protection as you're going to get from contraception.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, it does sound like your body needs a rest from sexual activity. Here's some information, in addition to what Joey shared to you, that will likely help make things easier for you next time. I would suggest that you and your boyfriend read this together so you're both on the same page (no pun intended) and can talk about what you think will work for both of you.

First Intercourse 101

From OW! to WOW! Demystifying Painful Intercourse

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

No, I started it in the starter section. The white pills being the non-hormonal pills and the beige being the hormonal ones.

According to numerous articles, the Pill (the hormonal pills) should be taken between 1-5 days after menstruation has commenced.

Since I took one white (non-hormonal pill) on the day I started my period which was the Friday, and then the next day a beige hormonal pill, as it was the next pill in the pack- effectively I started the Pill on the second day of menstruation.

I don't know if I am correct- but it seems that I am immediately protected. I had intercourse for the first time 8 days after I started taking the beige pills. And we used a condom- so I am hoping this would mean I am safe from any risk?

--------------------
Please help.

ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

I have only done it once, and it hurt a lot! So don't worry, I don't plan on doing it again for a while!

--------------------
Please help.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, your condom alone, if used properly, would have been very effective.

With your pills, if you didn't start your pack with the hormonal pills -- when you start the pill, no matter when you start, you start with the very first pill in the pack -- then no, your pill wouldn't have had any protection to offer you.

I also don't understand where you've gotten the idea that you start a pack after a period has finished. Ideally, your prescribing doctor or nurse would have told you how to start your pill, but if not, the patient insert that comes with the pill does.

But it doesn't sound like you started properly, so if you had any plans to go without condoms, I'd be sure to use them with your pill for at least your first pack as a backup.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67926 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana109
Activist
Member # 96639

I followed the directions on the pack. Stating that when menstruation begins you start within the Silver Starter Section, which contains five white non-hormonal pills and two beige hormonal pills.

According to the pack I am to begin taking pills on the day menstruation occurs- and take the pill that coincides with the day my period begins, which was the Friday and was a white pill.

--------------------
Please help.

Heather
Member # 3

Sounds like I might be misunderstanding something. If you've followed the directions in your patient insert for your pill, and/or taken your pills the way your doctor instructed you to, I'm sure it's all good.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.