Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Dildo is giving me an UTI??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dildo is giving me an UTI??
guitargirl92
Neophyte
Member # 70206

Icon 11 posted      Profile for guitargirl92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I hope you can help. In the past five weeks I've gotten two UTIs having never had one before. I'm 19 , female and have not yet had partnered intercourse.

I do use sex toys, namely vibrators and dildos. In the past 2 years I've used a small bullet vib, a rampant rabbit and vibrator made from hard plastic. I've never had a problem with these. In September I bought a new dildo a 'realistic' one made from some sort of rubber skin technology. Anyway used it on a Wednesday night the 12th of September for the first time and on the Thursday and Friday nights with a condom on it. I used it at lunchtime Saturday 15th September with no condom and by Sunday afternoon (25 hours) I was peeing tiny drops of fire!! Went to doc diagnosed with cystitis and got antibiotic.Cleared up in a day.

Well I came home from school this weekend and on Saturday night used the same didlo after rinsing it with boiling water. Exactly 24 hours later almost to the second I started getting the same symptoms and I'm now sipping Uva Ursi tea as a doctors visit and pills here are like €70 and I don't want to take more antibiotics. Ugh!

Anyway I think I can safely say that this new dildo is causing this. I didn't urinate after using it as I didnt know you should but I never got an infection from any of my other sex toys??

Would you be able to narrow it down more for me. The new dildo is larger than the other at 6 inches long and 5 circumference. The biggest I had used before was just over 4 inches circumference. I've also researched and found the the material it's made from is porous making it harder to clean than a silicone or plastic.

So I guess I'm asking if you think it was maybe the size of the new dildo or the material it was made from?? The previous toys (smaller and different material gave me no issues) .

I'm really bummed that something so pleasurable is causing these nasty infections and would like to get to the cause but don't want to do any more self expirements and get more infections.

Sigh. I'm just really ticked off. I haven't been on antibiotics since I was 11 years old. I workout 6 days a week and eat well so I'm just not used to by body letting me down like this.

Thank you so much if you read this, I would be so greateful for your input.

Posts: 7 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI guitargirl92,

It's no fun feeling sick, and I can understand you feeling frustrated.

Did you put a condom on the dildo the last time you used it?

The porous materials can indeed trap bacteria. Using a nonporous toy, or covering the porous one with a condom, should prevent this from happening. It's also possible that you're experiencing irritation from the toy itself, as many of those porous toys have harsh chemicals in them that are irritants for some people.

IN terms of the size, it's possible that using a larger dildo is pushing more bacteria closer to your urethra, but I am doubtful that that is the culprit here.

I'd suggest either retiring that toy or always, always using it with a condom on it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guitargirl92
Neophyte
Member # 70206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guitargirl92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya it's gotten worse actually so I guess I'll have to go to the doctor tomorrow. Ugh.

Anyway sorry I wasn't clear- both times I've gotten the first symptoms 24hours after using the dildo without a condom. Although this past weekend I did rinse it with boiling water but obviously it was no good.

I'm hoping I can retire this toy and buy one of similar dimensions in silicon or a non porous material but I'm also scared that I'll get another infection and I just can't go through this again.......not just pain but the cost of treatment etc..

And i do feel kinda embarassed to have gotten my UTIs from sex toys. Eeek!!

Posts: 7 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear it's gotten worse, but yes, with UTIs you really do want to attack them with antibiotics as soon as possible.

I can't say for sure, of course, but given what you're saying, it sounds like you had an extreme reaction to the material this toy is made of. I'm particularly thinking so since you didn't have a problem when you used it with a condom on it.

I can assure you you're not the first one to get an infection from a sex toy; lots of people don't clean theirs properly, or end up having a reaction to the material.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guitargirl92
Neophyte
Member # 70206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guitargirl92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to give you an update.

I went to the doc and I have cystitis so he said my bladder is inflamed and I have a lot of bllod in my urine. He said my bladder is not happy. Haha!! So I think you were right that maybe I'm reacting to the material in the dildo so hopefully when I am better I can switch to a silicone toy or something and be okay.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome. [Smile]

Best of luck!

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.