Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Here we go...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here we go...
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,
I've been so much more comfortable with manual and oral sex and feel like I have a much better idea on the ways you can and cannot get pregnant.

I've been thinking a lot and am wanting and feel i'm ready to try sex. I am on the pill and we decided to also use condoms and the pull out method (withdrawal-just because I'd really like to). I've read and know how to use a condom effectively, take my pill within 2 hours of each other if not every night at 10PM and am really comfortable with my boyfriend of about 2 years.

I think i've been clearing up about the reality about the likelyhood of getting pregnant when using a condom, pulling out AND the pill at the best abilities is slim to none.

I was just hoping for some last minute advice or feedback! Thanks!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HIBeaver987,

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for here, but perhaps you'll find this article helpful.

First Intercourse 101

Also, you mentioned wanting to use condoms and withdrawal. Be aware that using withdrawal while also using condoms can increase the chances of the condom coming off when you don't want it to, and doesn't significantly decrease pregnancy risk since you're already using hormonal birth control.

You can still do this of course, if you choose to, just be sure that you or your boyfriend hold the base of the condom as he's withdrawing to ensure it doesn't slip.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

If we make sure to hold the base, would anything else be wrong with using these two methods together?

I guess I would just be worried that there would be a microscopic hole in the condom so I would want to pull out anyways, just in case!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, nothing is specifically wrong with using condoms and withdrawal together.

There aren't microscopic holes in condoms though. There just aren't. Unless you keep your condoms next to your tweezers and a packet gets punctured, the condom just won't have a tiny hole in it. Does that make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Do you know why or how that myth got started? Because i've heard a lot of people that explain that there was a "microscopic hole" in the condom which is why I got pregnant....

So basically, it's extremely clear if a condom breaks, right? And if it doesn't, you're good??

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That myth has been around for a long time. I think it comes from many sources. I had hoped that the myth wasn't around any longer, but no such luck, I guess. [Frown]

Yes, so long as the condom box hasn't been tampered with (tampering would be obvious) and the condoms are stored properly, there shouldn't be any problem. And yes, when there's a break, it's a very clear splitting or shredding.

Have you been sharing your concerns and curiosities with your partner?

--------------------
Robin

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Yes! We've been talking about it and he said the exact same thing that you did..that it's clear when they don't work!

I just wanted to double check with you guys! Can storing properly just be like at room temperature on a shelf or in a drawer?

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

I just finally think i'm ready...just because i've been looking at the numbers and percentages instead of my mom's "you will get pregnant if you have sex."

I've finally realized that if a condom doesn't break, you're already completely fine. If it does, he'll pull out so (if he peed multiple times) there won't be sperm...and if he were to miss..i don't have an egg for it to attatch with (using the pill).

Although there's one thing that confuses me..even if everything is used perfectly (condom doesn't break...i take my pills on time or 2-3 hours apart at the most...and i withdrawal holding the base of the condom) there's still not a 100% chance that it didn't stop pregnancy?

Or does this mean that even if you used everything perfectly correctly, a condom could still break or an egg could still be ovulated? Is it likely or somewhat common that the pill doesn't work for women that take it perfectly?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It not being 100% is more of a statistical thing, and also, as you say, allowing for unknown, but really remote possibilities.

Birth control pills work for almost all people, and have been highly studied.

Using birth control pills and condoms together is an effective combination. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be clear, what we know is that in one year of use, the pill fails for around one in every 2,000 people who use it. I'd not call that likely or common, but it does happen.

That said, that's also data about people who are ONLY using the pill, not people who are backing up with a second method.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

So if my take my pill regularly and on time AND the condom didn't break and he held it at the base when he pulled out, we can be sure that all sperm would have stayed in the condom?

Therefore, for that time, i would not need to worry of pregnancy if the condom doesn't break.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.