Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » deleting posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: deleting posts
greengirl55
Neophyte
Member # 46674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can i delete past posts i have made? I go click the little edit icon that looks like a notebook and paper and it says my time has elapsed. I really want to get all of my old posts deleted.

[ 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: greengirl55 ]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, greengirl.

As we make clear in the user registration agreement everyone says "I agree" to when they register, users should not make posts they are not comfortable having here publicly in perpetuity.

Users cannot delete their own posts, and unless a user has posted something which they strongly feel puts them in serious danger -- like by using a real name (which we also ask people not to do) and posting about an abusive situation or someone abusive -- we also generally do not delete, especially since we have to do so manually, it deletes our work, too, and managing the organization as it is generally takes more time and help than we have.

Want to fill us in on what the issue here is? If you'd rather not on the boards, feel free to use the link at the bottom of the page to contact us via email.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl55
Neophyte
Member # 46674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am goin through a lot of really bad stuff in my life right now

[ 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: greengirl55 ]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greengirl, we really need to hold our users to the agreements and decisions they made in almost all cases save if and when a post puts them or other users in danger (don't hear that being the case here), and we also need to not spend the considerable time it takes to do so manually deleting all of someone's posts (versus, say someone who has made just one or two).

Why don't we talk about what the issue is here? has someone else discovered these posts, and did you tell them what you handle was so they're personally identifying you through them?

[ 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl55
Neophyte
Member # 46674

No one has but I'm worried the other person who I mention in my posts may find them and get mad that I shared personal information
Heather
Member # 3

Did you use their real name or any part of it or yours? You don't have a location posted, so unless you did that, I don't see how anyone could have a privacy issue here.

*IF* you did that in any of your posts, please let us know where and we can edit that. Not posting personal info like that is part of adhering to our user agreement which is exactly as it is to protect everyone's privacy, so we'd want to remove that information regardless, and like I said, editing a post or two *is* something we can do that does not involve a large time commitment on our part.

[ 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

greengirl55
Neophyte
Member # 46674

I just changed my name and deleted my location just before
Making this post.

[ 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: greengirl55 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, but none of those posts will now show that old information: when you change your public name and profile as you have here, it changes all your old posts as well automatically.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

greengirl55
Neophyte
Member # 46674

Ok. I also have my age and personal details of my relationship that some might recognize. Should I be worried about this?
Heather
Member # 3

As you'll notice, we have over 50,000 registered users, and literally around a million posts here at this point.

So, someone who doesn't know your handle here, that you use this site, and isn't looking exactly for your posts isn't going to likely even be able to find those kinds of details, let alone know they are yours or theirs when you have not mentioned them by name.

It might help to remember that very few users here have incredibly unique situations. For instance, we have hundreds of overs, at a minimum, over the years, who have posted about being one of the ages in our age group and having worries about pregnancy or conflicts about having sex.

Someone figuring out which one of those many people was you without personal details would be highly unlikely.

Sounds like you're having some relationship worries, btw, especially since to my knowledge, most of what you have posted about here are YOUR feelings, not someone else's, and your fears. Asking for this kind of help from qualified people in a respectful way is not something which should make an emotionally healthy partner angry.

If you'd like to talk about those issues, we'd be happy to do that with you. And I think in this case, if you want to do that and would prefer, it'd be okay for you to register a new account to do so if you like. We don't usually okay second accounts, but we can make exceptions sometimes.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.