Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Quick Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick Question
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone... i know its been a while since i posted here but i just needed help with a concern i have.

Its the third time this has happened.. when im supposed to get my period i INSTEAD get cramps for like a week long (or longer) THEN i get my period... i scheduled a gyn appointment already, but i just wanted some feedback from you guys [Frown] I don't know why this is happening, and it worries me..

Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a pain scale of 0 - 10, how bad are these cramps, would you say?

Also, any lifestyle changes lately? Changes in how or what you eat, in activity, in stress? Any health issues or conditions you're dealing with? New medications?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the pain is about a 4, its not bad. I have been more stressed than usual though..
Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think i've changed anything in my diet since this happened.. i honestly may have started to eat less healthy foods.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. So, an increase of stress paired with a less healthy diet most certainly could be at the root of having more PMS symptoms or having them for longer than before.

By all means, I do think checking in with your GYN just to be safe is wise, but if the only thing going on are mild cramps, chances are you're okay. And I personally suspect that if you maybe lightened your stress load or managed it more and tweaked your diet so that you're eating better again, this would probably stop happening or at least get less extreme.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

okay.. thank you so much! I was honestly concerned that it was something serious. I had asked my parents and they got all scared and told me to schedule an appointment immediately.

I'll still go to the doctor like you suggested, the date is set. thank you so much though.. you gave me some peace of mind, i'll try and manage my stress, maybe talk to some friends about it. I'll also attempt in watching what i eat.

thanks again! if i have any more concerns im sorry if i post them later lol so thanks in advance for keeping up with me

Heather
Member # 3

If you were having other symptoms, I'd be more concerned. But with only the cramps, pre-period no less, and you making clear your diet hasn't been so awesome, I'm not very. It's actually pretty amazing (I think, but then I'm a geek about this stuff) how responsive to what we eat our cycles can be.

Again, I'd still check, that's good form -- and do be sure to mention the stress and dietary changes, and again, any other symptoms that have also gone on you can think of, or any changes in your life that can have health impacts, like a new sexual partner, changes in sleep, etc. But I think you can chill about this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.