Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » on BCP- period started early, ended early

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: on BCP- period started early, ended early
Mariel
Neophyte
Member # 46238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I've been on the pill for a while now (nearly 4 years), and I am always very careful about taking it at the same time every day. During my last pack of pills, I got my period 4 days before it usually comes (with only a few exceptions that come to mind, it comes at nearly the exact same time at the end of every pill pack). My question is two-fold, and I'm hoping that maybe someone can help me sort out my worries. 1) I was wondering if perhaps my pill wasn't working properly because it was stored in its original packaging in my bedroom until I started using it, and my bedroom got very hot a few times (90 degrees F) while the pills were stored there. Would this make the pills not work? I didn't get pregnant last month, so it likely worked in that respect, but could the heat have caused them to be messed up? and 2) I'm wondering if should I worry about the possibility of pregnancy going forward- I continued to take my pills as normal even though my period came 4 days early (lasted its usual length) but ended 4 days before I started my new pack. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on days 2 and 3 of my new pill pack, but I'm wondering if I was protected from pregnancy since there was a gap between my period ending and starting my new pack (would I have started ovulating?). I know this is a long and confusing question but I hope you can help!
Posts: 32 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Mariel,

Early bleeding is not known to be a sign that the pill isn't working properly.

Does the brand of pills you use have placebo (inactive "placeholder" pills) that you take during your bleed, or do you not take pills and just start your new pack when your bleed is finished?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariel
Neophyte
Member # 46238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes! there are 7 placebo pills at the end of every pack. Normally i get my withdrawal bleed on the 3rd day of placebo pills, but this time I got it on my last day of active pills.
Posts: 32 | From: New York City | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you start your new pack right after finishing the old one?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariel
Neophyte
Member # 46238

I started my new pack right after the 7 day placebo week, i.e. I didn't miss any pills, hormone or inactive. I took my 7 placebo pills as usual on time and then began my new pack right on time.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You took your birth control pills as they're meant to be taken. Nothing you've said here indicates that they're level of effectiveness has been compromised.

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.