Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Polycystic ovary syndrome and Diane 35

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polycystic ovary syndrome and Diane 35
victorpu
Neophyte
Member # 97316

Icon 4 posted      Profile for victorpu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, i have one question and i am wondering if you guys could help me. I recently started having sex with my girlfriend and on one ocation the condom came off. But i dont know how much time happened before i realized, but i didn't come, there was only precum. This happend on September 23, and the menstruation is due to come between October 12 or 13. Now, my girlfriend has Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), so tracking ovulation is a little hard, with a 28 day cycle she would ovulated around September 28 or 29. She has been on diane 35 for about 2 years. Diane 35 is a pill that works as contraception pill and also helps to regulate her cycle. My main question is that she forgot to take the third pill of the first week and took it the next day at the same time she took the next one (24 hours later), so she took 2 pills in one day. Was she still protected? and also, since PCOS interferes with the menstrual cycle, Diane 35 is supposed to regulate it and therefore her cycle es a 28 days one, wich has never missed. Assumming that the pill fails, would she have ovulated 14 days before menstruation just like everybody else? Or is it entirely imposible to know because of PCOS.

Thanks in advance!

[ 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: victorpu ]

Posts: 1 | From: GDL | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi victorpu and welcome to Scarleteen!

It's actually impossible to know when anyone ovulates, whether they have PCOS or not, without that person having tracked her cervical mucus and basal body temperatures daily for several months.

However, what you're describing with your girlfriend's birth control pill still doesn't necessarily mean that it would have failed. For future reference, you can let your girlfriend know that it's important to take a missed pill as soon as she remembers it, then take the next pill when she normally would take it. If she doesn't remember until she goes to take that next pill, she should take both at once.

Here's some more information on birth control pills:
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

The risk you're describing is not high. At this point though, you'll both just need to wait and see if she gets her withdrawal bleed (which is what a period is called when someone is taking hormonal birth control) and go from there. If she does not get her withdrawl bleed, she can then take a pregnancy test and we can go from there.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.