Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What to use when can't get lube??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to use when can't get lube??
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the subject says, I'm not able to get hold of lube (Parents) but I masturbate, and I'm way too dry for anything, I just get sore, which kind of ruins it.

I have been using Vaseline, but I read on another post in Scarleteen that that can lead to UTIs as it traps bacteria and i get enough of those as it is, and now its cold I can't blame the weather and my tights!

Is there any normal household item I could use that would work as a lube last resort, just for the few months before I'm allowed to have sex and stuff (I have a boyfriend, my parents have limits set) so i'll be allowed it then if I explain to my mum, but I can't tell her I masturbate.. She has a thing against it (along with a lot of other things). I'm looking for something I can ask my mother to buy that makes no logical confusion or question of motive spark in her mind.

Or is Vaseline as much of a go-to lube as I can get? It's not that i'm not aroused, I just dry up which hurts as I get little cuts from masturbating like this =/

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about coconut or olive oil? Might you have either of those in the house?

Your own saliva, by the way, is also perfectly healthy to use for a lubricant with masturbation: plenty of people do. The only real issue with it is that it tends to dry up pretty quickly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just FYI, too? People often need lubricants with sexual partners as well, if not more so, especially for any sex where there is insertion of one body part into another. So, it's not just something for masturbation! But with partnersex that's safe, where condoms are involved, oil-based lubes or Vaseline are total no-gos. Neither are safe to use with latex.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I can't really ask for any either, I mean its kind of awkward as I never cook so if I ask for olive oil my mum will be confused as to my motive...

I already tried salvia, didn't work out too well as you said, it dries up very quickly.

I think this may be a good point I forgot to add; I spend my life either at school or in my room on the internet or with my boyfriend, I don't have hobbies besides drawing and writing, so I can't really ask for random foodstuffs that aren't cookies without interesting my parents. I'm 15 by the way.

I don't get given pocket money so I can't buy something and tell my parents I bought cookies and ate them, my parents know the exact change and money outgoing in the house, so i'm kind of stuck there. Also I'm not sixteen and I'm very small for my age so I look about 11 (to the point I get in half price in many places)

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Also, I already knew that, but by the time we get around to having vaginal or anal sex we'll have lube, Neither of us has had any form of sex before (even kisses) in the past as we're the social outcasts, so neither of us carry any STIs. And I already knew about the vaseline =/= condoms thing. Can't have condoms yet either..

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Heather
Member # 3

Then besides perhaps asking your boyfriend or a fiend if they'd pick up some lube for you (there;'s no age limit with buying lube), I'm just not seeing any options here.

Well, or not: maybe talking to your mother and trying to work through her objection to something 99% of all people do might be something to talk about, period, or her being able to have her own feelings about it without putting them on you?

Alternately, you could perhaps simply say your vulva feels really dry sometimes -- totally true -- and would like a lubricant for that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

To be honest, given as my mum grew up in a Jehovahs Witness home, is racist and homophobic, I'm kind of pushing it asking for lube at 15.

Thank you for your help anyway, I'll try appealing to her softer side about the olive oil and tell her its for my skin and i researched something about it online.

--------------------

Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

(tl;dr: My mother hates everyone who isn't her)
and I would love to ask my friends, but my boyfriend has an overprotective mother as it is, if he got caught it'd be worse than if I got caught, and all of my friends are younger than me by over a year, so I'm the only one at this stage.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Ah, I understand. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position. Let us know how it goes with your Mom. If your Mom poo-poos the olive oil idea, you could ask for a tube of plain aloe vera gel (no fragrances or additives) for your dry skin; that also would be reasonable to use on your vulva in small amounts.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut oil is also good for skin - many people use it as a body moisturiser or for hair as a super moisturising conditioner for dry or tangly hair. If your mum asks where to buy that from, it's Holland and Barratt. It's expensive (£12 but I think they now do a smaller one), but it smells incredible, and may be something to ask for as a present? It comes in a huge tub, so you could also use it as a body moisturiser as well as lube. It's not a very well know lube, most people in the UK use it as a body lotion.

Best of luck with it.

[ 10-06-2012, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Rei ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.